KDE Addressing A Spike In Bug Reports Following The Plasma 6 Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Addressing A Spike In Bug Reports Following The Plasma 6 Alpha

Phoronix: KDE Addressing A Spike In Bug Reports Following The Plasma 6 Alpha

Following last week's KDE Plasma 6.0 Alpha release with more enthusiasts beginning to test out the next-generation KDE desktop stack, there's been a spike in bug reports. KDE developers are on it working to address these bugs ahead of the Plasma 6.0 stable release at the end of February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE project organization and execution are impressive. It seems users are enthusiastically expecting the 6.0 release coming in February.

Comment

I tried KDE 6 some weeks ago, and I didn't find anything obvious broken even then. My use cases are rather mundane, but still, it felt quite ready!

I want the blockers gone of course, but boy am I a sucker for UI consistency improvements and "this closed ten annoying bugs" fixes!

Comment

190 bug reports fixed in a week is quite impressive! And the attention to bug fixing should only improve as features are soft frozen since alpha release.

Last time i was this excited for a DE release was when gnome3 was coming. I installed Fedora15 beta to get to test it, and oh boy was i disappointed when i actually got to use it. It was also the last time i saw kernel panics
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 18 November 2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

This might sound weird, but I like how I can't tell the difference between 5 and 6 in screenshots. As much as I'm liberal and like new features, customization, user freedom, and choice, I'm also conservative and not a fan of newness and change for the sake of newness and change. Keeping it traditional while giving it the power to become modern or anything in between is the best thing about KDE app standards and the Plasma desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            This might sound weird, but I like how I can't tell the difference between 5 and 6 in screenshots. As much as I'm liberal and like new features, customization, user freedom, and choice, I'm also conservative and not a fan of newness and change for the sake of newness and change. Keeping it traditional while giving it the power to become modern or anything in between is the best thing about KDE app standards and the Plasma desktop.
            *nod* 6 exists to move the undercarriage to Qt 6, not to restyle everything.

Comment

Thanks so much for the positive comments, folks!

Comment

A spike in bugs after the alpha is a good sign. It means people are testing the thing and finding errors. A spike in bugs after the final release is going to be worrying and bring back memories from the terror of the 4.0 version. But i have trust in KDE developers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  There are a LOT of UI tweaks in KDE6, but it's more about consistency than change. One thing Michael didn't mention was that now Plasma widgets can use KCM-style configuration. And settings dialogs in QtWidget apps have been changed to match SystemSettings, giving all configuration views the same look and feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

There are a LOT of UI tweaks in KDE6, but it's more about consistency than change. One thing Michael didn't mention was that now Plasma widgets can use KCM-style configuration. And settings dialogs in QtWidget apps have been changed to match SystemSettings, giving all configuration views the same look and feel.
                    Thankfully. Inconsistency and change for the sake of change is the bane of UI design.

Comment

Working...
                    X