Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    ngraham

17 likes for my request here.

You kinda underestimated hard the interest in it and that's only the registered Phoronix users who have opened this thread.
    Im really not sure how they gauge interest. KDE's bug tracker is complete and utter dogshit to the degree it actively pushes people away. and people frown upon +1 replying on issues trackers. So im not sure how we are supposed to make it clear when an issue is an actual issue.

Take this issue for instance, https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=471637 this is something that has been constantly complained to me about by people I get to try linux, Im only one person, can only vote once, and im not going to bother people to make an account for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      it will sure be nice if the HDR stuff can work with mpv. It seems like the hdr stuff uses some kind of vulkan layer as a layer inbetween to add VK_EXT_hdr_metadata​. I think this is what mpv should need. Wondering if anyone running the preliminary HDR stuff could test it since I wont be able to for a bit. it really would be nice since im relying on a pinned amdvlk version atm
      So I actually remembered and, yep, HDR with MPV is working on KDE Plasma 6.0 Beta 1 (mine is from kdesrc-build workspace) with RADV on CachyOS with Linux 6.6.3. All I had to do was enable HDR in KDE in the system settings and run an HDR enabled video with MPV. I tested with the Samsung Wonderland demo video.

Games in HDR, however, are a bit more hit and miss.

At least you won't have to pin or rely on AMDVLK anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So I actually remembered and, yep, HDR with MPV is working on KDE Plasma 6.0 Beta 1 (mine is from kdesrc-build workspace) with RADV on CachyOS with Linux 6.6.3. All I had to do was enable HDR in KDE in the system settings and run an HDR enabled video with MPV. I tested with the Samsung Wonderland demo video.

Games in HDR, however, are a bit more hit and miss.

At least you won't have to pin or rely on AMDVLK anymore.
        You sir, Are quite the man. Cheers, Ill be building plasma soon

Comment

Working...
        X