Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

You should have ssh access to that computer instead of handwaving and wasting time. Why do you even act like you are supporting a computer when there is no sshd (or another support service) in place on that computer? Then come here and state your frustration when the customer is more frustrated with you. It does not matter where customer is when you have ssh access. The problem is there since your brilliant admins sent out computers, or accepted supporting, without checking if the support services in place. Incompetent product, incompetent support, lose, lose, and wth, lose, lose, lose.

Sheesh!

And you are here, finding problems with KDE as if that is your problem?
    You either enable it by default and ship a backdoor wide open on the network to anyone who has their login credentials (which oh boy if you think those are safe haha), Now you need to set up port forwarding. after you walked them through that arduous task you can now do it! oh crap, you made the decision of not enabling it by default? well now you have to walk the user through swapping to a tty to enable it. yeah that's gonna work super well.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
      Thanks folks, I'll look into the free space issue. On first glance it looks like an SDDM problem, not a Plasma problem. So technically it's not a KDE issue
      Problem is that SDDM is the first thing a normal user sees and associates with plasma. Because of this I'm so thrilled that KDE has increased focus on SDDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post
        My pointer works worse in Wayland than in X.Org. And that's taking into account that the pointer with X.Org on Linux is worse than on Windows. Sorry imprecise. On Windows it is smooth. My mouse is a Logitech G402.
        My pointer could use some improvements, but it's smooth enough for daily use on Wayland. My mouse is a Logitech MX Ergo.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
          So how do you, the competent support person, solve this problem?
          I will be glad to try your solution next time in such situation.
          As @mrg666​ mentioned​, use a cmd remoting tool like SSH to connect in the background. In contrast to @Quackdoc​ I see no problem in having this enabled, if not directly exposed to the internet and with properly managed credentials - for example with SSH-certs.

Use a script to attach network storage, RAM-disk or whatever is needed to get the problem fixed but above all prevention is better then fixing so have some spare space reserved and monitor the devices.

Also a proven strategy is, having a person on site trained, we called them "super users", to be able to boot from a stick with something like UBCD on there. This way you know the technical skills and the tools at hand and can efficiently direct them over the phone. It should be quite quick to get a technical person up to speed on how to boot from a stick and granting you remote access.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I mean, I feel like linux in general is one big never ending beta test
            This is how software works today and not just open source software, just look at how many times it happens that Windows releases an update that breaks something.
            Unfortunately, no one is able to test Linux on hundreds of thousands of hardware and software configurations.
            There is an alpha phase, a beta testing phase and then the release... as long as few people don't test the beta versions, you can't complain...​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

This is how software works today and not just open source software, just look at how many times it happens that Windows releases an update that breaks something.
              Unfortunately, no one is able to test Linux on hundreds of thousands of hardware and software configurations.
              There is an alpha phase, a beta testing phase and then the release... as long as few people don't test the beta versions, you can't complain...​
              while true, the issue on the otherhand is that IMO it seems like no one is making software that they want to run on thousands of different configurations

Comment

You should have ssh access to that computer instead of handwaving and wasting time. Why do you even act like you are supporting a computer when there is no sshd (or another support service) in place on that computer?
                This advice is as useful as turning back time and doing backup on a crashed hard disk to restore the data.

We do support of a Linux application, not of Linux itself. We do have TeamViewer and solve 99% of issues that way. If graphical session would be working on full disk, we could solve all the problems.
                Mostly we don't install Linux, we don't ship machines. We do Linux support only because some of our applications run on Linux.
                Keeping an open ssh port is contrary to security policies in many companies and blocked by firewalls.

Then come here and state your frustration when the customer is more frustrated with you. It does not matter where customer is when you have ssh access.
                The problem is there since your brilliant admins sent out computers, or accepted supporting, without checking if the support services in place. Incompetent product, incompetent support, lose, lose, and wth, lose, lose, lose.
                Sheesh!
                Have I been disrespectful to you? Did I call you names? Are you unable to express your opinion in a polite way?
                If that is the case, I can't continue this conversation.

And you are here, finding problems with KDE as if that is your problem?
                I will repeat once again, if disk is full, you can't login to KDE (the root cause might be SDDM or something else).
                When there's no free disk space on /var/lib/sddm, sddm neither starts properly nor quits with helpful log message. It leaves black screen with cursor instead. Steps to reproduce Log out Stop sddm (...

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
                  As @mrg666​ mentioned​, use a cmd remoting tool like SSH to connect in the background. In contrast to @Quackdoc​ I see no problem in having this enabled, if not directly exposed to the internet and with properly managed credentials - for example with SSH-certs.

Use a script to attach network storage, RAM-disk or whatever is needed to get the problem fixed but above all prevention is better then fixing so have some spare space reserved and monitor the devices.

Also a proven strategy is, having a person on site trained, we called them "super users", to be able to boot from a stick with something like UBCD on there. This way you know the technical skills and the tools at hand and can efficiently direct them over the phone. It should be quite quick to get a technical person up to speed on how to boot from a stick and granting you remote access.
                  Thank you for your advice.
                  SSH is mostly not practical solution, since we don't really control the networking infrastructure of the company, and SSH is often blocked. We only support our Linux application. And since we introduce Linux to the company, customer calls us in case of any problems.

Actually we do use "superusers" to boot the Linux from DVD or USB key to repair the dual boot or broken graphics card setting.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
                    This advice is as useful as turning back time and doing backup on a crashed hard disk to restore the data.

We do support of a Linux application, not of Linux itself. We do have TeamViewer and solve 99% of issues that way. If graphical session would be working on full disk, we could solve all the problems.
                    Mostly we don't install Linux, we don't ship machines. We do Linux support only because some of our applications run on Linux.
                    Keeping an open ssh port is contrary to security policies in many companies and blocked by firewalls.

Have I been disrespectful to you? Did I call you names? Are you unable to express your opinion in a polite way?
                    If that is the case, I can't continue this conversation.

I will repeat once again, if disk is full, you can't login to KDE (the root cause might be SDDM or something else).
                    When there's no free disk space on /var/lib/sddm, sddm neither starts properly nor quits with helpful log message. It leaves black screen with cursor instead. Steps to reproduce Log out Stop sddm (...
                    There are "reverse ssh" and "ngrok" methods.. You can start with the following link
                    SSH Without Port Forwarding. Easily SSH to your Office PC or a device in your LAN which is behind a firewall or a router from anywhere around the world instantly without port forwarding. Follow this tutorial to set up ngrok in less than a minute.

If you can't login to KDE, then you do your job in other ways. Tell them to send an ssh request to your server and do reverse ssh, for example.

BTW, it is not just KDE, you probably cannot login any other DE if SDDM is not working right, That is where how to tell the customer login via command console becomes useful.

And, you are welcome, was this polite?

Comment

ngraham

17 likes for my request here.

You kinda underestimated hard the interest in it and that's only the registered Phoronix users who have opened this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X