Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks so good and promising release, might finally make wayland the standard.

Most important aspect is of course it working right. But god damn would it not be nice to have it also look technically nice, like having a sane config file layout!
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 11 November 2023, 04:15 PM.

Comment

- Preliminary support for playing HDR-capable games on HDR-capable displays with the Plasma Wayland session.​
      What about 10-bit color to reduce banding on 10-bit capable monitors?

- Ark is now much faster at compressing files using XZ and Zstd by enabling multi-threading.
      Finally! I've resorted to creating .tar's with Ark and then manually doing zstd -T0 archive.tar, but it's much easier to just have it work directly from the context menu.

- The Meta + Escape shortcut will now launch the KDE System Monitor.
      Interesting that they went with Meta + Escape instead of Control+Alt+Escape like Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
        I can not claim that developers recommend(ed) this step.
        But as a user (and many times administrator of other people's computer setups), I don't care so much about debugging KDE apps. I have to solve the user's need to access their files and do regular work.
        Typically situation, which happened many times in the past, was some bug in KDE applications and settings, where user could not log in. Kde was stuck in the initialization stage. And the simple solution was to wipe all settings KDE and the system was working again.
        Can you give some more details about exactly which files and settings caused these issues? Do you have any links to bugzilla tickets about any of these issues? Also, howfar in the past are we talking about here? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
        On a side note, one problem, probably deeply rooted in KDE ways of doing stuff, is the inability to login with a full disk. In my opinion, all programs should work even without free space (and/or writing temporary files). If the disk is full, some functionality is obviously impossible, and programs can issue a warning about that, same way as you can't write a write protected file. A working desktop system with a full disk should allow deleting of files and restarting the system.
        Currently, with disk full problem is extremely difficult to diagnose and correct by remote administration tools ... all we have is a customer complaining that they can't login, and no way to access the system by desktop remote connectivity tools (like TeamViewer).
        I'm not aware of this issue. Do you have a link to a bugzilla ticket about it?

Comment

The full disk issue is quite common. I experienced it multiple times. It is documented even in the Archlinux wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Blank_screen_with_cursor,_but_no_greeter_show s . Not sure about a bug report, I don't look at them very often as most of my bug reports ended up in the nirvana.

Edit: https://userbase.kde.org/Troubleshoo...ee_your_mouse:

Edit2 (there we go): https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/1120
          Last edited by R41N3R; 11 November 2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Ctrl-Alt-F4 opens the login console, at least Slackware init level was that. You can use it to login via command line and clean those files. Those admins trying to help did not know this?

ngraham thank you for even coming here and responding. I appreciate all you do for KDE.
            Last edited by mrg666; 11 November 2023, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Can you give some more details about exactly which files and settings caused these issues? Do you have any links to bugzilla tickets about any of these issues? Also, howfar in the past are we talking about here? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
              This happened in the past, we are talking 5 to 20 years; I use KDE since the beginning of time :-)
              Those bugs are not relevant to KDE6, but it was useful having a single directory which could be cleaned and all KDE settings were reset.

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
              I'm not aware of this issue. Do you have a link to a bugzilla ticket about it?
              This was happening since forever and is causing a lot of problems. Mostly people cry for help in forums, without filing a Bugzilla ticket.

In combination with other bad design choices in Linux system components, this makes desktop Linux unreliable and and difficult to administer:
              Cups does not clean /var/spool/cups, so any system where people do actual work will eventually run out of space
              Linux OS - Version Oracle Linux 6.0 and later: Oracle Linux: How to Clear Up /var/spool/cups After Print Job Completes

Once btrfs filesytem is 100% full, you do not get free space even after deleting the files to regain space. This happens because it needs to balance trees and it needs free disk space to do it :-)
              On my system df -h reports that the root file system is full (100% Available 0) and also btrfs fi usage / tells me that all of the space is allocated. After a restart it could not even bring up the

None of this is your fault, thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                Ctrl-Alt-F4 opens the login console, at least Slackware init level was that. You can use it to login via command line and clean those files. Those admins trying to help did not know this?
                Of course any competent system administrator knows that.
                Problem is that many companies do not have on-site system administrator. They call the support desk and give remote access. But they can't do it, if they can't login to graphical session.

Have you ever tried to give such support by phone? Have the regular user switch to console, give them root password and instruct them to type "rm" commands? Have them read back the error message? Is this even a good idea? How dangerous is that?
                And then btrfs does not give you free space even if you delete the files?
                You instruct the user over the phone to mount an extra disk with free space and do tree balancing. To people who don't distinguish slash from backslash. Good luck with that.

Comment

Thanks folks, I'll look into the free space issue. On first glance it looks like an SDDM problem, not a Plasma problem. So technically it's not a KDE issue

Comment

My pointer works worse in Wayland than in X.Org. And that's taking into account that the pointer with X.Org on Linux is worse than on Windows. Sorry imprecise. On Windows it is smooth. My mouse is a Logitech G402.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post
                      My pointer works worse in Wayland than in X.Org. And that's taking into account that the pointer with X.Org on Linux is worse than on Windows. Sorry imprecise. On Windows it is smooth. My mouse is a Logitech G402.
                      This comment is pretty unhelpful without pointing out what compositor (and version) you were using.

Comment

Working...
                      X