KDE KWin Preparing Preliminary Support For Running HDR Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Am I the only one who finds HDR to be way too hard to implement on Linux?

am i.jpg
    Well, between X which is too old to be retrofitted with all the bits and pieces needed by HDR and Wayland who thinks said bits and pieces are not a priority in a next-gen display server, what did you expect?
    I mean, it took years for Wayland to figure out fractional scaling, HDR may be a multi-decade problem for them.

Comment

To be fair, Wayland had a lot of other pain points to deal with first, so it wasn't a huge focus. Plus, too many systems still ship with X11 by default for other parts of the stack to invest... It was probably smart to focus on foundational issues before hitting new features.

Now that Wayland is (mostly) caught up, once it's widely accepted as standard I imagine future display innovations will land much closer to general hardware availability.

That said, one thing I do worry about is that new tech will probably have a bit of a fractured initial experience - if the Wayland Protocol doesn't very quickly standardize upcoming technologies. In the year 2030 if something like 3D displays become the new big thing, I'd hate to see Gnome and KDE push duelling implementations because the Wayland maintainers dragged their feet.

Comment

What about when not using gamescope? How would you use HDR then?

Comment

Games? thats cool and all, but Im much more excited for MPV to work ill have to try it out sometime, even if it's mpv via wine though I really hope mpv native works.

Comment

Yeah I don't get it either, why games especially, why would it not be working with mpv? Is AMDVLK required like with mpv or is RADV enough?
            It's a great news, thanks those involved!

Comment

Very unlikely that Steam users will be required to use amdvlk, I guess support for other areas will evolve around this rather quickly. Kind of an annoying complaint attitude in this thread, tbqh.

Comment

Google was able to implement it on Android and ChromeOS. Can’t be a Linux issue but a DE/GPU manufacturer issue.

Comment

Color is bloody hard in general, especially when you start mixing relative luminance systems with absolute luminance systems.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Google was able to implement it on Android and ChromeOS. Can’t be a Linux issue but a DE/GPU manufacturer issue.
                    It's the display server. Android uses its own, it doesn't use X or Wayland.
                    And it's definitely not the GPUs, mobile SoCs are some the most closed sourced bits on the planet. And they still manage to offer HDR. All of them.

Comment

as to someone who doesn’t know the topic well. Why is it so hard ? In my imagination you just should use floats in shaders what you do anyway mostly, then change type of the screen surface to something like r16g16b16 instead of r8g8b8. make rgb 1,1,1 to be maximum white in SDR to not break old code and software and what is more is actually HDR that’s it. why to invent 5 or so standards and make them super complicated???

Comment

Working...
                      X