Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE KWin Preparing Preliminary Support For Running HDR Games

Phoronix: KDE KWin Preparing Preliminary Support For Running HDR Games

Xaver Hugl who has been leading much of the KDE KWin feature development in recent years has opened up a preliminary merge request for allowing high dynamic range (HDR) enabled games to work on KDE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Like" is spelled incorrectly as "Liek". Otherwise, very exciting news.

Comment

Does this mean that the Linux-HDR patches aren't needed? I just didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the MR or use instructions for any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Does this mean that the Linux-HDR patches aren't needed? I just didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the MR or use instructions for any of this.
        Sadly, the Kwin support is just one piece of the puzzle. By the way, CachyOS already carries some HDR patches for AMD hardware. There is also an Xorg/Wayland part for supporting HDR and probably some other components that I haven't mentioned yet.

It is a bit sad that it is the end of 2023 and the Linux ecosystem still lacks behind here by a few years. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I wonder if we will see HDR support with Kwin on Xorg though as KDE devs seem focused on Wayland these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Sadly, the Kwin support is just one piece of the puzzle. By the way, CachyOS already carries some HDR patches for AMD hardware. There is also an Xorg/Wayland part for supporting HDR and probably some other components that I haven't mentioned yet.

It is a bit sad that it is the end of 2023 and the Linux ecosystem still lacks behind here by a few years. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I wonder if we will see HDR support with Kwin on Xorg though as KDE devs seem focused on Wayland these days.
          HDR isn't possible in xorg I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds HDR to be way too hard to implement on Linux?

am i.jpg

Comment

That's pretty cool!
              I wish KDE organization had more sponsors / donors to make more cool things like this!
              They haven't reached even 50% of their 500 members goal:
              Keep us Going! You helped us reach our goal of getting KDE supporters to 1000 and beyond!

After games, I hope they can solve the HDR problem for movies and videos playback too!
              Too bad that even for games it requires an up-to-date gamescope, which will be hard to find / install in the majority of distros.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Bloody hell, I'm good to go then. That's a pleasant surprise

I didn't realize CachyOS picked the HDR patches back up and all the rest, aside from KWin, is already installed and up-to-date on my system. That's what I get for not checking what patches the custom kernel I'm running is using . Luckily, I already had it running and have been keeping it up-to-date in anticipation of HDR coming back. Now I'm upset that I have actual stuff to do today

I need to get my KDE build environment back up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

am i.jpg
                  No...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    It's always hard when you don't know. It's basically an inductive process (which takes time). Or a deductive that has an inductive process to find out (which takes time). Also add, it has to follow a certain mindset as well (project's mindset of principles).

Without principles it will become chaotic and more often than not, bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X