No announcement yet.

File Searching On KDE Plasma 6.0 To Use Less CPU Resources & Better Usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Searching On KDE Plasma 6.0 To Use Less CPU Resources & Better Usability

Phoronix: File Searching On KDE Plasma 6.0 To Use Less CPU Resources & Better Usability

Adding to the long list of improvements to find with next year's KDE Plasma 6.0 release is better file/folder searching with the "Recent Files" search area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad that they still have not fixed the awful dependency on storage IO speed!
    Every time you use Plasma on a device that has slow storage (like a computer with a hard disk, SD card like Raspberry Pi) or you just have some background program that does high IO, the Plasma session crawls like a snail, as if you had the slowest computer ever and sometimes if the IO is really high, it even freezes.
    In my opinion, this is really bad, especially since it happens even on devices with 8-32 GB of RAM, which could even store the whole session in RAM, if Plasma would be able to load itself fully into the RAM or at least the most important parts of it.

If you have to use it from a USB flash drive, then you will experience record level slowness and freezes.

It's like the KDE developers don't even know what RAM is for...

I'm really sorry for people who are trying to run Plasma on devices like Raspberry Pi with USB storage and even more for those with SD cards storage.

This is one area where pretty much every Linux desktop environment is better than Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Too bad that they still have not fixed the awful dependency on storage IO speed!
      Every time you use Plasma on a device that has slow storage (like a computer with a hard disk, SD card like Raspberry Pi) or you just have some background program that does high IO, the Plasma session crawls like a snail, as if you had the slowest computer ever and sometimes if the IO is really high, it even freezes.
      In my opinion, this is really bad, especially since it happens even on devices with 8-32 GB of RAM, which could even store the whole session in RAM, if Plasma would be able to load itself fully into the RAM or at least the most important parts of it.

If you have to use it from a USB flash drive, then you will experience record level slowness and freezes.

I'm really sorry for people who are trying to run Plasma on devices like Raspberry Pi with USB storage and even more for those with SD cards storage.

This is one area where pretty much every Linux desktop environment is better than Plasma.
      I agree completely!

Plasma and friends need urgently to be a lot more improved. Not since some time ago, but many years ago.

This isn't enough and hinders KDE adoption.

Can anyone ask the developer about it? Please...
      Last edited by timofonic; 26 October 2023, 08:22 AM.

Comment

KDE is great but needs a year only focused on bug fix, then starting to add new features.
        Some bugs are really annoying and critical.

Comment

I have to agree with the above that KDE is pretty bad about disk usage. I personally have an Optane drive that handily compensates for this but back when I was still using HDDs, I've found the Baloo process was what tanked my performance the most. I'm sure it's better now but I still keep it disabled since I really don't have a use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I have to agree with the above that KDE is pretty bad about disk usage. I personally have an Optane drive that handily compensates for this but back when I was still using HDDs, I've found the Baloo process was what tanked my performance the most. I'm sure it's better now but I still keep it disabled since I really don't have a use for it.
            I also disable it. Otherwise, KDE isn't usable for me even on fastest SDDs.

My daily computer usage often relies on heavy I/O...
            Last edited by timofonic; 26 October 2023, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Plasma 6.0 is gearing up for a release at the end of February alongside the updated KDE Gear and KDE Frameworks 6.0.
              I hope Kubuntu folks come to their senses and don't try to squeeze KDE 6.0 on the 24.04 LTS release. I was there on the 4.0 and 5.0 launches and it was not fun. Let KDE Neon users receive the kick in the groin, and in 2 years Kubuntu LTS users can have a newer desktop environment that actually received some bug fixing.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

AFAIK that comes from the usage of QML. Many little files read, interpreted through V8 (or whatever) and then finally rendered. I don't think that can be fixed, except using the qml compiler (it used to be in paid only Qt, not sure now)

Comment

I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this weird IO bug... I often mount shares through ssh with sshfs. As soon as such as mount is present anywhere on my system, anything that relies on qt to open files (so kde, such as okular but also pure qt applications) gets much slower when opening files, even when it has nothing to do with the sshfs mount (starting a qt application from the command line in a directory that is not the sshfs mount nor reading any data from the said mount). This means (as far as I understand it) that something in qt does some kind of an access to the mount (even if just listing what is mount or doing a "stat" call onto it).

I guess in other scenarios (not having any sshfs mounts), any slow mount would do the same, although being less obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

AFAIK that comes from the usage of QML. Many little files read, interpreted through V8 (or whatever) and then finally rendered. I don't think that can be fixed, except using the qml compiler (it used to be in paid only Qt, not sure now)
                    *nod* And they're rewriting things that used to be QWidget in QML. I'm setting up a hand-me-down laptop on Kubuntu 22.04 LTS (partly as a test-run for upgrading my daily driver from 20.04 LTS) and I'm running into "Y u reinvent top-level windows badly" moments with the popups in System Settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X