File Searching On KDE Plasma 6.0 To Use Less CPU Resources & Better Usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ngraham

Any hopes this can be further optimized and solved? It happens in GNOME too, so maybe is a common issue of some kind?

Comment

Indexing on KDE is has always been a lost cause for me. Always turn it off, and since I have no real reason for it, it bothers me little. It's a nightmare on HDDs, and I had a few instances where it "chewed" right trough a couple of SSDs (reduced their lifespan by more than 40% in a few months).

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Indexing on KDE is has always been a lost cause for me. Always turn it off, and since I have no real reason for it, it bothers me little. It's a nightmare on HDDs, and I had a few instances where it "chewed" right trough a couple of SSDs (reduced their lifespan by more than 40% in a few months).
        Sadly, i can't turn it off, I do lots of different workloads on my computer, ranging from statistics/polls/accounting/inventories (at least 1000 spreadsheets of this alone), device repairs (I have LOTS, I mean LOOOOOOOTS of schematics and board files, counting in the thousands), console modding, graphic design, 3d design, even some amateur audio production lol.

And with KDE I've found my cup of tea, it's familiar by default for someone like me who has used Windows mainly for the last 25 years (and still use it at work), but can switch the layout for whatever I need/want.

I've used Gnome but it's very limited and needs extensions to have some certain BASIC functionality. I also use other DEs on test/secondary PCs (especially, lightweight ones, like ICEWM, LXQT, Enlightenment, and others like MATE, Deepin, Elementary) and they all lack the metadata/content indexing.

I'd REALLY like to see Baloo being fixed and optimized since it's a powerful tool which I use a lot.

Comment

Working...
        X