Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geany 2.0 Lightweight IDE / Text Editor Released

Phoronix: Geany 2.0 Lightweight IDE / Text Editor Released

Thursday marked the 18th birthday of the Geany open-source text editor / lightweight integrated development environment (IDE) project. In celebrating Geany turning 18, the Geany 2.0 release was made available. Geany 2.0 continues to strive toward the project goal of being a fast and easy to use text editor for coding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GEdit seems to do all the things i need. To bad that it is being replaced. I like the new editor though.. If they would just make a plugin system for that...

Comment

Back in the early 2000's I looked at various IDE's... I ended up with codeblocks and nano for the most part, and was skeptical to geany when it first came. Just another half assed project that is going to disappear I thought... How wrong I was

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Anyone, using both Gnome and KDE Plasma, knows how this compares to Kate / Kwrite?

Comment

I used Geany a lot between 2012 and 2016 (mostly for Lua to write Minetest mods, along with C++). I don't use it actively anymore, but it still holds a place in my heart.

Also, yay for adding built-in support for GDScript syntax highlighting!
          Last edited by Calinou; 21 October 2023, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Anyone, using both Gnome and KDE Plasma, knows how this compares to Kate / Kwrite?
            I used to use Geany as my go-to until I realized I liked Kate this one time I forced myself to only use KDE provided utilities and programs on some Manjaro install way back when. I've been using Kate, and a lot more KDE stuff, ever since. For scripting, working on small projects, edits here and there, system maintenance, etc, both Kate and Geany make a great text editor. They're both featured enough that you'd have to really dig into them or be doing something niche for them to not cover your basic editing needs...like Sessions being in Kate and not in KWrite. I find it damn handy to be able to open a system maintenance session to have quick access to pacman.conf, kernel command line, makepkg.conf, schedulers, settings, etc. Open up a session and, BAM, all the relevant stuff is there. Damn handy.

It's been so long that I can't give a 1:1 list of differences between Kate and Geany, but they're both good

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              GEdit seems to do all the things i need. To bad that it is being replaced. I like the new editor though.. If they would just make a plugin system for that...
              Gedit was my very first Linux text editor. How much it changed from GTK2 to GTK3 is what got me out of GNOME entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Gedit was my very first Linux text editor. How much it changed from GTK2 to GTK3 is what got me out of GNOME entirely.
                I very rarely depend on the apps that are embedded in a DE. For this reason i also use Gedit on other DE's than Gnome. Kate is also a good text editor. For smaller projects I just like that Gedit has all these usefull little plugins like codecompletion, find in files, git integration, file system view and a terminal integration.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It's been so long that I can't give a 1:1 list of differences between Kate and Geany, but they're both good
                  LSP ?

Comment

nice, will try it as soon as it lands on repos

Comment

Working...
                    X