Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GNOME Code Speeds Up Performance For NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Multi-Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Wayland victory. X11 is obsolete, of course! (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
      Another Wayland victory. X11 is obsolete, of course! (lol)
      The fact that devs are focusing on the edge cases is a pretty good indication that the main use cases are in pretty good shape. Well, that and the fact that Wayland has been the default on many distros for a while, including LTS ones like Ubuntu.

Is Wayland perfect? No. Is X11 perfect? Also no.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

The fact that devs are focusing on the edge cases is a pretty good indication that the main use cases are in pretty good shape. Well, that and the fact that Wayland has been the default on many distros for a while, including LTS ones like Ubuntu.

Is Wayland perfect? No. Is X11 perfect? Also no.
        That's right, they're both not perfect. But X11 works and there is only CVE and obsolete code. Wayland is not ready for daily use, but it is presented as better and working.

Comment

Originally posted by DooMMasteR View Post
          At least the Intel stuff is open source, it will not arbitrarily breaking and such issues could be fixed on the driver end.

Also yes, AMD and Intel, while still not great, are doing a lot better on the open source driver end than NVIDIA.
          Just look at the contributions Valve supported towards AMD GPU in the past 2 years, same for MESA.
          Stuff that (now is cold tea) like the `glReadPixels` stuff affected NVIDIA really badly too.. there is just also less will to fix stuff for NVIDIA on the meta level since there is literally no insight if/when NVIDIA might just fix it themselves and make work obsolete.

I am not saying the fix is BAD and should not have been done, I am simply saying it is in most cases just not work to carry NVIDIA's ass around wherever you go, if they keep fighting it.
          Something being open source only helps in one situation which is if you need debug symbols because your application is misbehaving or you have no idea how the library behaves. Otherwise, as long as a library sticks to specs and public interfaces, it doesn't matter if something is open source or not.
          NVIDIA's shortcomings were never because it is not open source. They are because they behave very differently that the rest of the platforms. We know how they behave but it's not fun to support different behaviors and have many code paths. They can be open source and still behave differently.
          Last edited by ClosedSource; 04 October 2023, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post

That's right, they're both not perfect. But X11 works and there is only CVE and obsolete code. Wayland is not ready for daily use, but it is presented as better and working.
            Wayland is ready for daily use for the majority of users, otherwise we would have seen massive pushback outside the super-hardcore groups when e.g. Ubuntu LTS switched to Wayland by default for Intel/AMD.

Wayland might not be ready for daily use for you, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's not ready for most users. Also, the fact that Wayland now supports proper fractional scaling means that Wayland might actually be a significantly better experience for many.

As for me, the only major holdback is Nvidia hybrid graphics (AMD iGPU+Nvidia dGPU) support getting polished up. Also, libinput has a different speed/acceleration profile than xorg-synaptics, ideally I find a way to make them match so I don't have to re-learn my trackpad muscle memory, but that's not the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
            X