Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GNOME Code Speeds Up Performance For NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Multi-Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DooMMasteR View Post
    GNOME (and other projects) should stop fixing and working around the pile of [bleep]ing [crap] that NVIDIA's closed source software is in the environment of OSS Linux, they are supporting a multibillion Dollar company, that could not give a lesser f` bout them.
    Counterpoint: If a ~150loc code change fixes one of the few remaining blockers for completely dumping X11 (both X.Org itself and all the X11 specific code in Mutter), that's a net positive all around.

Now to get a proper PiP/floating window protocol, and we'll really be in good shape
    Last edited by QwertyChouskie; 02 October 2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

GNOME (and other projects) should stop fixing and working around the pile of fucking shit that NVIDIA's closed source software is in the environment of OSS Linux, they are supporting a multibillion Dollar company, that could not give a lesser f` bout them.
      A guy from Canonical worked on it and it's very little code.Qwerty has the right idea. Why leave people with issues that have simple fixes?

Comment

If the issue over all, was a 15 min thing, fine, fix it.
        But even being just 150 LOCs I would suspect it was a lot more complex to solve.

Looking at the state of GNOME I would rather like them to fi stuff like a "hanging Nautilus while copying files", "broken keyboard navigation" and other stuff that affects just everyone, not just users of a broken ecosystem GPU driver.

Comment

GNOME (and other projects) should stop fixing and working around the pile of fucking shit that NVIDIA's closed source software is in the environment of OSS Linux, they are supporting a multibillion Dollar company, that could not give a lesser f` bout them.
          Absolutely. They should also stop making mutter more performant on Intel onboard graphics because Intel, a rich company, doesn't pay them.
          And before you confuse your opinions with reality, check the mutter git log for GL optimizations that NVIDIA doesn't need.

Comment

At least the Intel stuff is open source, it will not arbitrarily breaking and such issues could be fixed on the driver end.

Also yes, AMD and Intel, while still not great, are doing a lot better on the open source driver end than NVIDIA.
            Just look at the contributions Valve supported towards AMD GPU in the past 2 years, same for MESA.
            Stuff that (now is cold tea) like the `glReadPixels` stuff affected NVIDIA really badly too.. there is just also less will to fix stuff for NVIDIA on the meta level since there is literally no insight if/when NVIDIA might just fix it themselves and make work obsolete.

I am not saying the fix is BAD and should not have been done, I am simply saying it is in most cases just not work to carry NVIDIA's ass around wherever you go, if they keep fighting it.

Comment

This comments just spreads hate and it's incredibly irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Counterpoint: If a ~150loc code change fixes one of the few remaining blockers for completely dumping X11 (both X.Org itself and all the X11 specific code in Mutter), that's a net positive all around.

Now to get a proper PiP/floating window protocol, and we'll really be in good shape
                As the owner of an Nvidia laptop, I'm really happy for this and appreciate the efforts from the guy at Canonical (even if I don't like Ubuntu myself).

Comment

At least the Intel stuff is open source, it will not arbitrarily breaking and such issues could be fixed on the driver end.

Also yes, AMD and Intel, while still not great, are doing a lot better on the open source driver end than NVIDIA.
                  Just look at the contributions Valve supported towards AMD GPU in the past 2 years, same for MESA.
                  Stuff that (now is cold tea) like the `glReadPixels` stuff affected NVIDIA really badly too.. there is just also less will to fix stuff for NVIDIA on the meta level since there is literally no insight if/when NVIDIA might just fix it themselves and make work obsolete.

I am not saying the fix is BAD and should not have been done, I am simply saying it is in most cases just not work to carry NVIDIA's ass around wherever you go, if they keep fighting it.
                  Again, I appreciate this. What is making Linux great (and much better than 10 years ago) is that we stopped fighting and started to collaborate. Everyone is doing it. Red Hat has been helping Nvidia and their integration with Gnome for long, and now Canonical is as well. I am thankful for that.
                  Last edited by jorgepl; 03 October 2023, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Yes yes let's get at the billion dollar company by ensuring the exactly 2 people that use some sort of Linux distribution with NVIDIA gfx card + a hybrid setup have a terrible experience and use Windows instead, because they're definitely not spending hundreds of dollars on a new graphics card just to use a niche desktop OS. Definite clown emoji moment.

Comment

The thing that amazes me the most about the hate large, supposedly greedy, companies get from people like from doomy is that they either don't know or don't care about the massive contributions they make to driving technology forward and contributing vast amounts of money to the economy, both directly and indirectly.

Without Nvidia the GPGPU portion of the HPC market would not exist. Were it not for Intel refusing to allow Nvidia to make x86 CPUs and instead settling the lawsuit out of court for 1.5 billion dollars, Nvidia would not have had the motivation to create CUDA and bring GPGPU to market, we would not have projects like Folding@Home, Einstein@Home, bitcoin and other crypto currencies, BOINC, the list goes on and on and on.

I used to work in an Oncology department of a large hospital about 12 years ago and one of the departments we had was the experimental treatments department, where people with cancers that did not respond to traditional treatments were studied and experimental treatments were attempted.

The computers that were used? Earlier versions of the NVIDIA DGX A100, I forget their exact name but each system was rumored to have cost 100 grand and we had a few of them. The DGXs are built by Nvidia, using Xeon processors, Nvidia GPUs, and Ubuntu.

So the companies that people love to crap the most in this forum, Canonical, Nvidia, Intel, are the companies that make the products that literally save people's lives.

Comment

Working...
                      X