Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GNOME Code Speeds Up Performance For NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Multi-Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GNOME Code Speeds Up Performance For NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Multi-Monitor

Phoronix: New GNOME Code Speeds Up Performance For NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Multi-Monitor

A newly-opened merge request for GNOME's Mutter compositor adds hardware acceleration for the NVIDIA proprietary driver for secondary GPUs such as in the case of hybrid systems and other setups with multiple monitors whereby the NVIDIA GPU with proprietary driver is powering some of those outputs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A typo: This mergw request.

Comment

BTW: I have the exact same problem and experience with KDE and KWIN on me Lenovo ThinkPad P52 laptop. It's one of the few reasons why I'm still using X11 instead of Wayland.
      Last edited by nvaert1986; 02 October 2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't the usage of GL_OES_EGL_image_external decrease performance in primary NVIDIA GPU configurations?

Comment

Oh, so that's why it was so slow on my laptop. Ok, now I can see for the first time a reason big enough to claim Wayland is not yet ready for all users.

Comment

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
            A typo: This mergw request.
            mingw, mergw

Comment

I wonder why Gnome is so eager to solve all problems for Nvidia.
              Does Nvidia at least pay them?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I wonder why Gnome is so eager to solve all problems for Nvidia.
                Does Nvidia at least pay them?
                Daniel van Vugt at Canonical who leads much of their upstream GNOME improvements/optimizations has worked out a prototype of hardware-accelerated GPU-to-GPU copies for NVIDIA outputs under Mutter Wayland session
                Daniel van Vugt at Canonical

Comment

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
                  BTW: I have the exact same problem and experience with KDE and KWIN on me Lenovo ThinkPad P52 laptop. It's one of the few reasons why I'm still using X11 instead of Wayland.
                  Here's the relevent KDE bug. it looks like kde 6 will include a fix for it.

I was able to get it to work well using the all-ways-egpu script using method 2 and 3

Though I did run into other issues with the screen distortion / draw area. the second monitor would basically not have a background for parts of the display that were different between monitor 1 and monitor 2 and would redraw whatever was over that section over and over unless a live window covered it up.. i don't know where the bug for this one is tho as it's a hard description to make.
                  Last edited by rommyappus; 02 October 2023, 02:08 PM.

Comment

GNOME (and other projects) should stop fixing and working around the pile of fucking shit that NVIDIA's closed source software is in the environment of OSS Linux, they are supporting a multibillion Dollar company, that could not give a lesser f` bout them.

Comment

Working...
                    X