Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.6 Nears Release With RC Offered Up For Testing

Phoronix: Qt 6.6 Nears Release With RC Offered Up For Testing

Qt 6.6 is nearing release for this open-source and cross-platform toolkit while out this morning is the release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The crash / restart resistant improvements are really nice!
    But I wish there was a page triggered by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL that always worked for the cases when stuff just freezes and nothing else is responding.
    With some freezes, not even the CTRL+ALT+Fx work to at least go in the terminal, even though the terminal is not so helpful if you don't know the commands to restart things.

Comment

Many of KDE 6 series bug fixes are based on QT 6.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        But I wish there was a page triggered by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL that always worked for the cases when stuff just freezes and nothing else is responding.
        With some freezes, not even the CTRL+ALT+Fx work to at least go in the terminal, even though the terminal is not so helpful if you don't know the commands to restart things.
        I don't think this low level of keyboard handling is handled by Qt, even on KWin running as a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
          Many of KDE 6 series bug fixes are based on QT 6.6.
          They usually are. A lot of work going into Qt comes from KDE developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            The crash / restart resistant improvements are really nice!
            If Ctrl Alt Fx doesn't work, you probably have a video driver hang or crash.
            You can always try to enable the SysRq keys, and use them if necessary.

Comment

Execute release 6.6.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

If Ctrl Alt Fx doesn't work, you probably have a video driver hang or crash.
                You can always try to enable the SysRq keys, and use them if necessary.
                Not necessarily, these shortcuts require cooperation from the display server (your Wayland compositor of choice, or Xorg). It's also possible (and in fact quite likely) that that's what hangs.

Comment

I wish they would not unilaterally do so much for QML Quick etc. Below that layer there is a very decent C++ GUI toolkit.

Comment

Working...
                  X