Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myownfriend

Let's check all the "lies" one by one:

1. "He's also told people multiple times that he blacklisted people when he didn't."

I do have people blacklisted, Michael can vouch for that. I can post a picture if you'd like. Sometimes I open forums in a private browser window to see the replies that I'm missing.

2. XFCE developers said "We do not have the resources to maintain our own Wayland compositor" - this has not changed even to this date. XFWM4's Wayland fork was created by a person not on the XFCE core development team. The fork has not even been merged into the XFWM4 repo. Go check it. XFCE devs have so far fixed some bugs (but not all) in the XFCE panel and some applets to make them work under Wayland. Many features, including global keyboard shortcuts are not usable in any shape or form under an XFCE Wayland session (yes, the manual to run XFCE under Wayland with a third-party compositor has long been available).

3. "Here he says that libWeston isn't a shared library, that he wasn't saying that Wayland should include a drawing API, just a graphics output API, and that Weston isn't a reference Wayland compositor because it's just used for Wayland development."

Point 1, libweston: you misinterpreted those words completely. I said it was not used by a ton of Wayland compositors. I said the way it's created was not sufficient to build a full-featured Wayland compositor.

Point 2, Weston:
    * To my best knowledge not a single Wayland desktop environment or WM uses Weston.
    * When I was talking about a reference compositor with drawing APIs I meant this issue which is not resolved and not going to be resolved any time soon.

4. In the comment right afterwards I quote where he specifically said "Wayland should have a decent low level drawing toolkit akin to Win32" , not a "graphics output API". In other words I showed that he was lying about what he said.

I stand by my words, Wayland does need "a decent universal low level drawing toolkit akin to Win32". Everything else that you wrote was quite tangential. There was no lie.

5. I then explain what the terms "reference implementation" and "shared library" mean. I then ask him if he knows what the ".so" at the end of "libweston-1.so".

My gripe with Wayland has always been this issue. You continue to turn my words inside out to show that you were right and I was ... lying.

Not only I was not lying (and you've not caught me doing so at all) but we were talking about completely different things. I could have said something wrong but only because I lacked knowledge. And as people have noticed I do apologize when I find myself being wrong. I've not seen any other Open Source fan here on Phoronix ever apologizing for saying something wrong.

Never in my entire bloody life I've ever tried to lie about Linux/Open Source and anything related to it. Your whole message and accusations are beyond disgusting and horrible. Why would I even lie while contributing non-stop to all major Linux projects, including the kernel, GCC, KDE, Gnome, Firefox, Wine, etc. etc. etc. I don't understand the "logic" behind your accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      a long quote
      Citation one was taken out of context, I did not call Wayland cr.p. Please quote everything next time.

Citation two: "Wayland does not allow me to get anything done. Period."

Yes, I'm using XFCE and only XFCE. There's no Wayland for XFCE users yet.

For the past two weeks alone I've seen at least a dozen people lamenting the state of KDE under Wayland. If you think the Linux desktop is limited to Gnome, I've got bad news for you.

Nothing wrong or false about any of those citations.

I don't want to talk about Wayland any more. I'm bloody tired of this. I'll do my best to ignore topics with it from now on. I've been quite successful actually as I did not say a thing about Wine's Wayland integration though it will likely be broken for the foreseeable future because the Wayland protocol does not allow to do certain window related things that Windows and X11 applications expect.

Have a nice day :-)

Myownfriend

I'm not interested in talking about Wayland any more, specially with you.

Please quote this next time if you even wanna quote me again:

All the successful operating systems (Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS and Unixes) so far have provided:
      • The graphics server, normally just one - Wayland doesn't. Weston is not a server it's a specific one of many compositors. Gnome, KDE are not using it, XFCE is not going to use it. Linux had several graphics servers in the past but everything converged to XFree86 which was later superseded by X.org. And those additional X servers were quite specific and people normally did not use them. In my 25+ years of using Linux I've never needed to specify the graphics server to install.
      • The graphics rendering API: X11, Win32, Cocoa, etc. Wayland doesn't have any at all. You're welcome to render pixels or use GTK/Qt/etc. which break backwards compatibility like there's no tomorrow. Another crucial feature of these APIs for established OSes is that they provide DPI scaling out of the box. Wayland goes away with this and instead offers very coarse scaling (even though it's now fractional it's a far cry from what DPI can do).
      • APIs for standard desktop features including ... just check this bug report again.
      Wayland has thrown all of this out of the window and it's beyond reasonable doubt how successful this idea has been so far. We've got Gnome. That's about it. KDE has issues and some things are yet to be implemented.
      Last edited by avis; 30 September 2023, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I did not call Wayland cr.p.
        (in a good mood) Another little search and we also find that Birdie wrote that "Wayland is still focking broken" and "how and why people continue to defend Wayland is beyond me" (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...26#post1254326) maybe guided by thoughts like that from Carewolf:

> Restoring my app's window position upon restart is frowned upon? By whom?

By the designers of Wayland. They want an ideal world where apps know nothing about where they are, and have no impact on it. It is on of the flaws of the initial idea, we are slowly getting workarounds for the millions issues that decision caused.
        (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...33#post1364833)
        > If you think the Linux desktop is limited to Gnome, I've got bad news for you.

No, I even answered you, quoting some Wayland "defects by design": https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...e4#post1408938

Maybe Wayland designers will change their mind :-)

> Have a nice day :-)

The same to you :-)

Comment

Working...
        X