Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 1.0 Planned For Release Later This Year

Phoronix: PipeWire 1.0 Planned For Release Later This Year

The PipeWire audio and video streams solution for the Linux desktop is planning its big version "1.0" release for later in the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So will it break backwards compatibility with the 0.3 releases?

Comment

Will the IRQ-based ALSA driver be used everywhere or will it be opt-in?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It has to be a solid reason/s for announcing 1.0 release. Because if it reaches that version, Pipewire has to be the de-facto Audio & Video project on the market. I feel like it is right now, but still too many people that has problems with Bluetooth and nothing about webcam support (only that it's been worked on, cannot test myself).

Comment

Michael has ignored birdie for years now, banned him on Phoronix forums a year ago, yet he continues to follow him. That's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          So will it break backwards compatibility with the 0.3 releases?
          No. PipeWire API is set in stone - it's 100% backward and forward compatible with PulseAudio.

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          It has to be a solid reason/s for announcing 1.0 release. Because if it reaches that version, Pipewire has to be the de-facto Audio & Video project on the market. I feel like it is right now, but still too many people that has problems with Bluetooth and nothing about webcam support (only that it's been worked on, cannot test myself).
          It's been the de-factor audio server for multiple major Linux distros for many years now. Bluetooth support has been flawless for me for quite some time now and I've not heard of any pressing pending issues. Citations would be nice.
          Last edited by avis; 25 September 2023, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            continues to follow him
            Michael must be the worst stalker in the world then. It took him a whole week to find out about this issue being there at all.

Comment

I tried to use PipeWire seriously twice in the past year or so.
              Audio distortion was basically non-fixable even with defaults, let alone higher sampling and bit rates that my hardware was capable of. Spent a lot of time debugging, getting some progress on playback side, but capture was very bad as well with robotic sound, etc.

And memory leak is still not fixed even though multiple people reproduce it reliably.​

PulseAudio isn't great either, this is why I'm looking forward to PipeWire, it is quite bad with non-default values and not able to do pretty much anything beyond defaults on multiple machines I have tried over the years, but at least defaults (mostly) work. Still some crackling here and there, but for the most part it works.
              If PipeWire dosn't work even with defaults on the same hardware then it still have ways to improve.

Might give it a try again after 1.0.

Really looking forward to it, but IMHO it is not yet ready for 1.0.

Comment

Great!
                Hopefully now even more distros will start using it by default instead of PulseAudio or whatever some are using.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
                  I tried to use PipeWire seriously twice in the past year or so.
                  Audio distortion was basically non-fixable even with defaults, let alone higher sampling and bit rates that my hardware was capable of. Spent a lot of time debugging, getting some progress on playback side, but capture was very bad as well with robotic sound, etc.
                  Have you reported that?

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
                  And memory leak is still not fixed even though multiple people reproduce it reliably.​

PulseAudio isn't great either, this is why I'm looking forward to PipeWire, it is quite bad with non-default values and not able to do pretty much anything beyond defaults on multiple machines I have tried over the years, but at least defaults (mostly) work. Still some crackling here and there, but for the most part it works.
                  If PipeWire dosn't work even with defaults on the same hardware then it still have ways to improve.

Might give it a try again after 1.0.

Really looking forward to it, but IMHO it is not yet ready for 1.0.
                  Speaking of the memory leak: it looks like it's more a Firefox issue rather than a PW issue: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1851747

Though to be honest it doesn't look good for PW at all. It needs to be fixed because this looks like an easy DoS attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    Well I use WH-1000XM5 and I enjoy LDAC codec using pipewire, I had issue with pipewire few releases ago when choosing mic from a headphones will brake HIFI codec, but it was quickly fixed in next release. I have more issues with REALTEK wifi card tho, so I ordered intel to compare if their driver will be better.

Comment

Working...
                    X