PipeWire 1.0 Planned For Release Later This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Some Bluetooth issues exist simply because Bluetooth is a minefield. Many devices are buggy, the spec is complex, many non-standard extensions are used in practice etc. In my experience, PipeWire works as good as it possibly can work with the variety of Bluetooth devices. Don't pretend that there are no Bluetooth issues on other OSes.
    Right, everytime something never works properly on Linux, it's always because the spec is bad, the device is buggy, the implementation is non-standard. It's never Linux's fault. It's everybody else's fault.

USB3 sucks in Linux. Because spec is bad. Devices nonstandard.
    WiFi sucks in Linux, Because spec is bad. Devices nonstandard.

Yet the same devices can work properly in Windows, and macOS and even in fucking Android. But it's the device's fault. And the spec's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Find one actual lie he has ever said and put it up here for all to see.

Everything he says, he has backed it up with either links or screenshots.
      He literally just said in this thread that Michael follows him on Gitlabs when he knows that's not true.

He's also told people multiple times that he blacklisted people when he didn't.

Here he responded to an article about XFCE's plans for supporting Wayland with a link to XFCE's Wayland road map.

Then one week later in another thread he claimed that XFCE doesn't even have plans for supporting Wayland. He knew there were plans and claimed there wasn't. That's lying.

Phoronix: Wayland 1.20 Planned For Release In December It's been nine months since the release of Wayland 1.19 while now release plans have been drafted for Wayland 1.20... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-1.20-Release-Plans

Here he says that libWeston isn't a shared library, that he wasn't saying that Wayland should include a drawing API, just a graphics output API, and that Weston isn't a reference Wayland compositor because it's just used for Wayland development.

Phoronix: Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland Thanks to Mozilla's Telemetry capabilities, there is some interesting insight to how many Linux desktop users are still relying on an X.Org (X11) Server without Wayland... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Firefox-Wayland-X11-Stats

In the comment right afterwards I quote where he specifically said "Wayland should have a decent low level drawing toolkit akin to Win32" , not a "graphics output API". In other words I showed that he was lying about what he said.

I then explain what the terms "reference implementation" and "shared library" mean. I then ask him if he knows what the ".so" at the end of "libweston-1.so".

He interprets the last sentence as an insult as an out so he doesn't have to explain away his flip-flopping on the graphics API thing then tries to change the topic towards the one issue he opened up on the Wayland Gitlab that he seems to think holds some importance. He then tries to claim that libWeston isn't a shared library because nothing else depends on it other then Wayland when searching through Fedora's repos with DNF. He then says he won't respond to me again.

I respond by further explaining that a shared library describes a library that CAN be shared, not that multiple things use it. I used libmutter as another example of this. Gnome is the only thing that depends on it but XFCE could use it, too. I also provided an example of another compositor that uses libWeston.

His final response (I thought he said the last post would be his final response. Guess he lied about that), is to say that I'm the one that brought up shared libraries to begin with (I didn't, he did) and then claimed I backpedaled from claiming it's a shared library... by providing the definition of shared library, showing how it applies to libWeston, and showing libWeston being used in that way. How is not outright lying in this example. He literally lied about what he and others say in the same thread.

Half the time that he links to some "proof" it's just one of his posts on someone else's website or to his own website and he won't disclose that it's him.

Comment

Could you lot please make another forum post or something for your birdie/avis bitch fight and leave the rest of us who don't care to discuss the actual news items?

Comment

Right, everytime something never works properly on Linux, it's always because the spec is bad, the device is buggy, the implementation is non-standard. It's never Linux's fault. It's everybody else's fault.

USB3 sucks in Linux. Because spec is bad. Devices nonstandard.

Yet the same devices can work properly in Windows, and macOS and even in fucking Android. But it's the device's fault. And the spec's fault.
          There was a whole section in the newest LTT video explaining how there are USB devices and chips that aren't completely on-spec and that effects Windows, too. I don't see how that couldn't also be the case for Bluetooth.

That being said, are there USB3 issues on Linux? The only USB issue I've run into is that my audio mixer defaults to USB Audio Class 1.0 instead of 2.0 so I had to make a udev rule to have it switch to the 2.0 mode but I don't know if that's the devices fault. Windows also doesn't see it as a UAC2 device either and Windows has supported UAC2 since like 2017 (even though the spec was from 2009). Instead I have to install ASIO drivers for it. Linux and MacOS have supported UAC2 since 2010.

So I don't know if that's an issue with how the device reports its own capabilities or not, but regardless it's still a way nicer experience using my mixer on Linux than on Windows despite needing that udev rule because I don't need additional drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            Could you lot please make another forum post or something for your birdie/avis bitch fight and leave the rest of us who don't care to discuss the actual news items?
            You think we want to argue with birdie? Hell no. We'd much prefer that he get banned again instead of being allowed to freely evade his first ban even when he's launching accusations against the owner of the site.

Comment

Find one actual lie he has ever said and put it up here for all to see.
              He says that Wayland is crap.

Do you think it's true?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

He says that Wayland is crap.

Do you think it's true?
                I don't think the developers of X11 and Valve and many others are idiots. They learned from the mistakes made in X11. On the contrary, I very much welcome their work. I don't know where he gets the audacity to make such statements. What did he do?

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

I don't think the developers of X11 and Valve and many others are idiots. They learned from the mistakes made in X11. On the contrary, I very much welcome their work. I don't know where he gets the audacity to make such statements. What did he do?
                  Searching for that word in Phoronix I found Birdie writing "this crap called Wayland":
                  Phoronix: KDE On Wayland: "The Biggest Thing Needed Now Is Adoption By 3rd Party Apps" Given the recent discussions stemming from Fedora 40 planning to ship KDE Plasma 6 and drop the KDE Plasma X11 session to focus solely on Wayland for the next-gen KDE desktop, prominent KDE developer Nate Graham has written a

and "Wayland does not allow me to get shit done. Period.":
                  Phoronix: Wine Wayland Driver Takes Another Step Closer To Mainline The merge request for landing the first of "many" parts of the Wayland driver for Wine was opened this morning. This is part of the effort of allowing Windows games/applications running under Wine to operate natively on Wayland rather than having to

although anyone reading those forums frequently will remember more posts like that.

Sometimes he realizes something:
                  "I need to verify things more thoroughly and I'm sorry for saying falsehoods".
                  -- https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...post1327065​
                  Sometimes Birdie writes true facts, I've upvoted some of them. Sometimes not:
                  Phoronix: Steam On Linux Metrics End Out 2022 With Some Odd Numbers Valve has just published the Steam Survey results for December 2022 that come in at a bit of a surprise... https://www.phoronix.com/news/Steam-Marketshare-Dec-2022

Comment

I'll eventually get to using pipewire full time. I need some time with it. It's pretty ok already.

I just use a 2i2 2nd gen with an old Mackie 802vlz4 mixer going into it. The pulse/jack module is still doing pretty well. I don't get too serious about this stuff anymore and just have fun expirementing. I do like Mixbus32c.

If one is super serious about this stuff like making a living with a pro studio then you might want to be using Macs. I have heard of people running professional recording studios using GNU Linux as a DAW, you can most likely do it, they are usually very small outfits.

Comment

WiFi depends on the manufacturer, I never have problems with Intel chips, Realtek works generally well. There are WiFi problems in Windows too, even artificial limitations by Microsoft (no WiFi 6E in Windows 10 but works in 11). And MacOS only works in Macbooks and other Apple products and they only use Broadcom chips, so it's hard to have problems when you only use one manufacturer and very few models.

Comment

Working...
                      X