GNOME 45 Released With New Apps, New Activities Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fulalas View Post

Anyway, I still find it odd to force a minimal dependency version in order to have a bug fixed. In this case, most likely this bug is still present in GNOME 45 final release because gnome-console has been released in beta.
    It is normal. It even happens on point releases sometimes. After all, micro versions bumps are reserved for these kinds of bug fixes.

I tried to replicate now and I couldn't, but I swear I saw this happening consistently across different sessions and a friend of mine also saw the same thing on his machine. Maybe there's something we have to do to trigger the bug.
    It's gdk issue that happens with X11. It used to happen with Wayland too, but it got patched. Here's a link to the issue on GTK tracker:

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

the future of DE is language neutral modularity via open and standardized wayland/xdg protocols. Rust may win, but that's not clear, rust was a pioneer in more runtime safe language, but there's enough warts in it that it will get challenged. Gnome went out of their way to make it impossible for developers to swap out core components from gnome, unless using their fragile javascript interface. This has not only hurt users, but done themselves a disservice, as they put huge gatekeepers on the design of the desktop, and gives blinders to said gatekeepers that will never see their users wanting something because they don't allow their users any freedom. It's also reinforced a bad technical architecture. Added to that they come up with the most bizarre HIG guidelines for apps, which I guess makes sense for a kiosk like computer for kids in preschool, but not anything desktop users want. If gnome ever did an app survey they would surely see that none HIG apps are more used and more liked then other apps.

I find it really amusing that their playing nice with rust now. But people wanting to write a dock for gnome (i.e. the wonderful dash-to-dock) must use javascript.

GNOME has the leadership position because they follow gtk, and gtk is still a leader, and the gnome experience (with all of it's limitations) is pretty polished. But their arrogance and dismissal of "power users" are basically the seeds of their undoing.
      Unfortunately HIG has been partly helpful, it just happens to be worse more often than better. For example, there is a niche where not only the UI but also the UX is pretty terrible, and here the Gnome approach has unfortunately become a savior, because there is simply no alternative. I even once wrote a review of GUI archivers on Linux, and unfortunately it's a depressing picture with no clear leader. But Gnome Archiver is one of the two archivers I use. I also use Gnome Maps because I need a simple and not too ugly interface to view routes recorded in GPX files. I also have Gnome Disk, which is rarely used, but I will look for a replacement.

Speaking of the depressing picture, maybe some people haven't noticed, but dockbars on Linux are now also left with old updates, or not suitable for normal UX. This is despite the fact that we often see those very same dockbars in DE.​

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
        It's gdk issue that happens with X11. It used to happen with Wayland too, but it got patched. Here's a link to the issue on GTK tracker:
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/5884
        Thanks for finding this!

Don't get me wrong though, but I have this feeling that GNOME has always some excuse for their weird bugs. Sometimes less (complexity) is more (stability).

Comment

Sometimes less (complexity) is more (stability).
          Isn't it always like that? At least for the single component where this sentence is relevant.

In gnome, it's probably because of toolkit/language - C is not supporting necessary abstractions to keep it 'simple', you have to do a lot of things manually that in c++ language/compiler handles.

I'd argue that the kde has this problem as well - too many features (complexity) and not enough manpower to maintain it (stability).

Comment

I'm going to add one more thing. I find it pretty odd that a desktop and a pretty bad one at that sort of gets passed around by forum recommendation all over the place that it is the goto desktop with AMD GPU's and Wayland. Even if I had an AMD GPU why would I want to restrict myself to something like this? Also I clearly recall after moving from a 6800XT back to a GTX 1070 on Xorg, the very first thing I noticed when moving back was that the old 1070 was clearly much more responsive on desktop X11.

The GNOME project has made some pretty decent stuff for the GNU Linux desktop world. My personal opinion excludes their desktop environment from the decent stuff.

KDE nailed it without the use of Wayland for games i.e. 'the compositor intelligently disables itself', Kwin even offers you the option of what version of Opengl to use, yeah I'm just smearing it in. Oh and yes KDE is also pretty close to reaching full parity with Wayland anyway being full ready for it.
            Last edited by creative; 22 September 2023, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              I am not going to try to order anyone, was just expressing some of my opinions. Comparing where they are now to where they used to be, it doesn't seem that history is on their side.

The one thing you don't do is alienate your user base and act like you know what is best for them. Of course I don't use GNOME but some of the stuff I do use, uses pieces of the project unfortunately. Perhaps I should stop using those as well.
              Ah, the usual "I'm the customer" attitude. The Linux desktop would probably be more successful if they charged money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                I'm going to add one more thing. I find it pretty odd that a desktop and a pretty bad one at that sort of gets passed around by forum recommendation all over the place that it is the goto desktop with AMD GPU's and Wayland. Even if I had an AMD GPU why would I want to restrict myself to something like this? Also I clearly recall after moving from a 6800XT back to a GTX 1070 on Xorg, the very first thing I noticed when moving back was that the old 1070 was clearly much more responsive on desktop X11.

The GNOME project has made some pretty decent stuff for the GNU Linux desktop world. My personal opinion excludes their desktop environment from the decent stuff.

KDE nailed it without the use of Wayland for games i.e. 'the compositor intelligently disables itself', Kwin even offers you the option of what version of Opengl to use, yeah I'm just smearing it in. Oh and yes KDE is also pretty close to reaching full parity with Wayland anyway being full ready for it.
                Why bother to post here? Doesn't KDE have their own threads where you can cheer your accomplishments? .. or did everybody leave for XFCE?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Ah, the usual "I'm the customer" attitude. The Linux desktop would probably be more successful if they charged money for it.
                  You forgot to put GNU in there. You can go buy some Red Hat stuff if you want you know? You want to be a paying customer right?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Why bother to post here? Doesn't KDE have their own threads where you can cheer your accomplishments? .. or did everybody leave for XFCE?
                    Nah I use both.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                      Just upgraded to Fedora 39 for the fun of it.
                      Still when I connect my monitor to my laptop using HDMI, the whole desktop becomes slow and sluggish.
                      Especially at 4k resolution.
                      I believe this is because the HDMI port is wired up to the Nvidia (secondary) dgpu.
                      And Mutter doesn't do direct rendering or import of dmabuf or something when using the blob Nvidia drivers.
                      In my case, it was crashing the whole Gnome desktop. After one "dnf update" to gnome-shell-45.0-1.fc39.x86_64, it was working again, but I temporary switched to Nouveau just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                      X