GNOME 45 Released With New Apps, New Activities Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nadir View Post

Weird. Gnome and nvidia work fine on my intel laptop. Laptops are apparently still the most problematic hardware for Linux.
    Everything works perfectly fine on both of my laptops. One has AMD APU, the other Intel with iGPU. Don't really care about the leather jacket thug's closed source company.

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
      gnome-console final release, for instance, requires gtk4 4.12.2 although it works perfectly with 4.12.1
      Actually it doesnt. gtk 4.12.2 is required as there is a bugfix in it that gnome-console relies on.

Maybe you dont run into that bug or do not consider it important, but the maintainers of the app evidently do.

In Files (Nautilus) if you go back one folder and double click another folder (not the one that is already selected), you don't go inside it because the first click is spent just selecting the folder.
      Just tested. I don't see that bug. Tried it multiple times and it works correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

Yeah its really shitty.. because there are basically many laptops out there with both a primary intel/amd and secondary Nvidia gpu.
        And when any of the display connections (hdmi/dp/usb-c/whatever) is wired up to the Nvidia gpu.. shit will be slow.
        Thats kinda unacceptable for a Linux desktop in 2023.
        Gnome and Nvidia should work together to fix this.
        Why are you blaming Gnome for a hardware issue? Like Gnome works fine in this case with other graphics platforms it seems so the problem lies with how well Nvidia makes their stuff work in an interoperable way. While the Gnome devs could work around this issue that would take a lot of time that no one is willing to pay them for. Nvidia could, theyve made SOO much money off of the AI boom, but theyre not

Comment

Weird. Gnome and nvidia work fine on my intel laptop. Laptops are apparently still the most problematic hardware for Linux.
          Are you using the official Nvidia driver?

My guess is that you are and the other guy is using the open source "driver".

Comment

They shouldn't be given most run older NVIDIA cards and can even use the open-source nvidia driver with reclocking these days.

Most issues for NVIDIA are related to their later RTX cards due to limited support with open-source projects.

Comment

So you want full compatibility, support for really bizarre hardware topologies in a laptop form factor... plus performance to boot? I hear there is this crazy OS with a pretty awesome hybrid kernel, brand new COW file system and even Nvidia supports them!!! Its Windows... with ReFS.

Actually WIndows 11 running on top of Ubuntu with GPU passthrough is pretty awesome... cant get nested VM to work yet, but it feels kind of stupid to try to run WSL2 on top of Windows 11 on top of Ubuntu The only app that would be helpful through this is virt-manager, but I can just do a remote desktop for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                Just upgraded to Fedora 39 for the fun of it.
                Still when I connect my monitor to my laptop using HDMI, the whole desktop becomes slow and sluggish.
                Especially at 4k resolution.
                I believe this is because the HDMI port is wired up to the Nvidia (secondary) dgpu.
                And Mutter doesn't do direct rendering or import of dmabuf or something when using the blob Nvidia drivers.
                Do both screens have the same refresh rate? Even on the same amd apu, I've found plugging a 75hz display to a 60hz laptop is horribly sluggish in gnome Wayland.

Bug disappears if I set the external screen to 60hz.

Comment

Nice. Now we have at least 4 more dependencies (zzzz...); the build process says nothing about GNOME now requiring xdg-desktop-portal-gtk (good luck not including that in your running environment); pipewire is a hard dependency; all (!) extensions are broken because why not break the API once again; the applications startup time is even slower as unbelievable as it may sound; gnome-console is shipped in beta stage although the final release was ready before GNOME 45 release; as usual they incorrectly require many dependencies to be newer than necessary (gnome-console final release, for instance, requires gtk4 4.12.2 although it works perfectly with 4.12.1); etc; etc.

On top of that we have beautiful bugs, like:

In Files (Nautilus) if you go back one folder and double click another folder (not the one that is already selected), you don't go inside it because the first click is spent just selecting the folder.

Also in Files if you click on Properties (of a folder) it will not show the correct total size if there are hidden subfolders/files and Nautilus is set to not show hidden files/folders.

Recording video may not work and the user/distro maintainer will have zero feedback about which dependencies are missing.

Did I say performance is still terrible?‚Äč

And the list goes on and on.
                  You should report bugs on gitlab, not phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    You should report bugs on gitlab, not phoronix.
                    Breaking extensions is not a bug as far as Gnome is concerned, it's a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Breaking extensions is not a bug as far as Gnome is concerned, it's a feature.
                      It's like the Linux kernel, no stable API inside the kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X