No announcement yet.

GNOME 45 Released With New Apps, New Activities Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME has been doing this for years. When I was using version 3, it was unusable without my extensions, and it often happened that its infamous javascript engine (GJS) would crash gnome-shell or bring the CPU to 100% making the computer absolutely unproductive and unusable. It is the least usable desktop environment of all for a professional, unless you use your computer for facebook or gmail.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Are you using the official Nvidia driver?

My guess is that you are and the other guy is using the open source "driver".
      I'm using the official nvidia driver as per RPMFusion instructions: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
      I did not opt in to use the "open" source nvidia driver.
      Output of nvidia-smi:
      +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
      | NVIDIA-SMI 535.104.05 Driver Version: 535.104.05 CUDA Version: 12.2 |
      |-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
      | GPU Name Persistence-M | Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
      | Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap | Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
      | | | MIG M. |
      |=========================================+======= ===============+======================|
      | 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ... Off | 00000000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
      | N/A 57C P8 16W / 80W | 23MiB / 16384MiB | 0% Default |
      | | | N/A |
      +-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
      | Processes: |
      | GPU GI CI PID Type Process name GPU Memory |
      | ID ID Usage |
      |================================================= ======================================|
      | 0 N/A N/A 5590 G /usr/bin/gnome-shell 3MiB |
      It's working fine for playing games.

Originally posted by citral View Post

Do both screens have the same refresh rate? Even on the same amd apu, I've found plugging a 75hz display to a 60hz laptop is horribly sluggish in gnome Wayland.

Bug disappears if I set the external screen to 60hz.
      Both my laptop and dedicated monitor run at 60Hz.
      But it also happens when my laptop lid is closed and my external monitor being the only active display.
      I just configure the resolution at 1080p instead of 4k so it doesn't slow down too much.

This is the bug: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome.../-/issues/6221

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Breaking extensions is not a bug as far as Gnome is concerned, it's a feature.
        Remember how pissed everyone was when Firefox removed their very similar monkey patch extension system that broke things with every release? Cause everyone whinned like nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by andrea76 View Post
          GNOME has been doing this for years. When I was using version 3, it was unusable without my extensions, and it often happened that its infamous javascript engine (GJS) would crash gnome-shell or bring the CPU to 100% making the computer absolutely unproductive and unusable. It is the least usable desktop environment of all for a professional, unless you use your computer for facebook or gmail.
          Its pretty well usable, i'm doing my work on it all day, doing software dev stuff.

The breakage of extensions is unfortunate. The decision behind it isn't wrong from a technical point of view, but any breaking change is always stuff to be considered and reasoned pretty well. Here they got more in line with a JS standard dated back from 2015. Thats good since it gets rid of special gnome/mozilla coding rules and lowered the hurdles to get a grip on extension programming, and bad because of the breakage. I wouldn't call that an easy choice to be made, but I also don't see either answer being a clear mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Remember how pissed everyone was when Firefox removed their very similar monkey patch extension system that broke things with every release? Cause everyone whinned like nothing else
            Oh, they haven't stopped yet.

Comment

I wish they would discontinue their DE and just maintain certain libraries and utilities. GNOME from what I understand has done a fair amount of demolitioning of things that other projects outside GNOME rely on or looked to as assets for design.

In my opinion they need to be taking orders from long standing GNU Linux desktop development leaders outside the GNOME project and the GNOME desktop rendered derelict.

The best thing they ever produced in my opinion was their virtual file system and disk utility. Everything else that was good that they once made they ended up tarnishing and ruining for other projects outside of GNOME.
              Last edited by creative; 21 September 2023, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                Actually it doesnt. gtk 4.12.2 is required as there is a bugfix in it that gnome-console relies on.

Maybe you dont run into that bug or do not consider it important, but the maintainers of the app evidently do.
                Interesting. Do you have a link for that? I could only find this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/console/-/issues/324

Anyway, I still find it odd to force a minimal dependency version in order to have a bug fixed. In this case, most likely this bug is still present in GNOME 45 final release because gnome-console has been released in beta.

Originally posted by You- View Post
                Just tested. I don't see that bug. Tried it multiple times and it works correctly.
                I tried to replicate now and I couldn't, but I swear I saw this happening consistently across different sessions and a friend of mine also saw the same thing on his machine. Maybe there's something we have to do to trigger the bug.

Comment

I'd push back on this. What's your definition of professional? I use LInux exclusively, including at work. I run Fedora with Gnome on my systems. I'm in education and use Linux for everything I do at my job, including your usual office related tasks, but also some graphics work, light video editing, multimedia presentations etc. I have a four screen setup in my classroom ( three screens on my desk and a projector for the students). Gnome works amazingly well in this setup and I have no issues with it. I don't think it performs better than other desktops like KDE, XFCE etc. but I certainly don't find myself any less productive because of Gnome.

I grant you, that the non-traditional way Gnome works can put people off, but I find it great to use once I embraced it. And if you want slightly more traditional, the official extensions, such as window list, give you that quickly and easily.

I also grant you that earlier in the Gnome 3 life cycle performance was bad, but current Gnome is very fast and performant. I live in a Wayland world every day and have totally forgotten about it for the most part. Things just work and they work well.

My coworkers are often blown away by my setup after they spend all day fighting with the garbage Windows setups they use all day.

Comment

The more you test, the more problems you find:

eog (old Image Viewer) -> 14 kb (bin) + 613 kb (plugins): total 627 kb
                    loupe (new Image Viewer) -> 5.7 mb​ (bin): total 5.7 mb

Of course that's not all: while eog builds in less than 1 minute, loupe takes many-many minutes, and the cherry on the top: when it fails to load images (my case) it doesn't say anything on why it failed, even when running it from the terminal.

These guys are amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
                      The more you test, the more problems you find:

eog (old Image Viewer) -> 14 kb (bin) + 613 kb (plugins): total 627 kb
                      loupe (new Image Viewer) -> 5.7 mb​ (bin): total 5.7 mb
                      loupe seems to use glycin for loading the images.
                      You most likely linked everything statically, hence the increased size.

and the cherry on the top: when it fails to load images (my case) it doesn't say anything on why it failed, even when running it from the terminal.
                      Did you report this as a bug?

These guys are amateurs.
                      You should share your professional wisdome with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X