KDE Plasma 6 Wayland Session: "It's Been Working Great!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post

Not a gnome fan. Wayland should stay a gnome feature at least for very very long time, if that's the case. If it's taken this long it sounds like a an afterthought as a primary graphical display for desktop.
    I'm not a fan of him either. But there are some things I admire about him. So according to you, we should continue to be on X11 or how to interpret your writing?

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

I'm not a fan of him either. But there are some things I admire about him. So according to you, we should continue to be on X11 or how to interpret your writing?
      Nah it's just my opinion, which may be a crap one to you and that's ok by me, I am not trying to knock someone else's hard work, everybody has a certain way they feel about things. Wayland very well may be the future, I can say this though it's going to take a while. When I speak of Wayland I by no means am aiming what I say at a person i.e personally attacking them or their work, rather I am speaking about the more raw states of a project and facets of it that don't seem to work that great for a variety of desktop use cases.

When I say raw, I am talking I actually had to toast a lot of stuff in my home directory and start from scratch to recover back to my previous setup's better working state, essentially setting a lot of things back up from scratch. I think I saw website warn before trying wayland to backup your home directory, I did, it was only critical files though.

So maybe how I feel about it is not such a bad thing to express after all given my experience with it.

I have also read reddit posts that are pretty recent of a few people expressing frustrations with AMD GPU's with Wayland. My experience with it was less of a frustration but more of an understanding that when testing certain things undesirable effects can and do indeed come with the territory.
      Last edited by creative; 13 August 2023, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

However, the developers themselves say so. Only recently has massive work started on Wayland support in KDE.
        I'm saying that this year the developers have expressed that it should work starting with Wayland. You are just telling me the information that it works for you. You are probably smarter than the developers and probably using a different KDE than them.​
        Leave the fanaticism at home.
        What does fanaticism have to do with it? Many KDE devs use Plasma-wayland daily, others are forced to still use X, as written, it depends on the hardware configuration (this also happens in GNOME) or on particular use cases. What's fanatical about saying this?​

Comment

Nah it's just my opinion, which may be a crap one to you and that's ok by me, I am not trying to knock someone else's hard work, everybody has a certain way they feel about things. Wayland very well may be the future, I can say this though it's going to take a while. When I speak of Wayland I by no means am aiming what I say at a person i.e personally attacking them or their work, rather I am speaking about the more raw states of a project and facets of it that don't seem to work that great for a variety of desktop use cases.

When I say raw, I am talking I actually had to toast a lot of stuff in my home directory and start from scratch to recover back to my previous setup's better working state, essentially setting a lot of things back up from scratch. I think I saw website warn before trying wayland to backup your home directory, I did, it was only critical files though.

So maybe how I feel about it is not such a bad thing to express after all given my experience with it.

I have also read reddit posts that are pretty recent of a few people expressing frustrations with AMD GPU's with Wayland. My experience with it was less of a frustration but more of an understanding that when testing certain things undesirable effects can and do indeed come with the territory.
          I also don't want to knock off someone's work. I'm just correcting the proclamation that everything has worked in KDE since the beginning of time. And everything just works and that's how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

What does fanaticism have to do with it? Many KDE devs use Plasma-wayland daily, others are forced to still use X, as written, it depends on the hardware configuration (this also happens in GNOME) or on particular use cases. What's fanatical about saying this?​
            up... ^

Comment

Rovano I am actually a relatively happy XFCE4 user and that's what I drive daily. Both KDE and Gnome are great desktops, I choose not to use them though, they are really not my style. What I do though is pull from both Gnome's and KDE's ecosystems for use with XFCE4. Both Gnome and KDE have incredibly rich ecosystems. Some parts of gnome like gvfs are less of an option though for a variety of distributions but only for good reason, gvfs is relatively rich and plugins for it integrate quite nicely for file managers that support it also Gnome gnome-disk-utility very handy with graphical on the fly fstab and partition medifications. KDE has really nice QT apps Qjackctl, Kate, Filelight, Okular etc. Gnome has just as many, it's just that I decide to pull from both for XFCE4 cause they integrate quite nicely with it.

I maintain an XFCE4 themed and pretty tricked out, very nice looking and with compositor off. It looks just as modern as KDE and GNOME.
              Last edited by creative; 13 August 2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Rovano I am actually a relatively happy XFCE4 user and that's what I drive daily. Both KDE and Gnome are great desktops, I choose not to use them though, they are really not my style. What I do though is pull from both Gnome's and KDE's ecosystems for use with XFCE4. Both Gnome and KDE have incredibly rich ecosystems. Some parts of gnome like gvfs are less of an option though for a variety of distributions but only for good reason, gvfs is relatively rich and plugins for it integrate quite nicely for file managers that support it also Gnome gnome-disk-utility very handy with graphical on the fly fstab and partition medifications. KDE has really nice QT apps Qjackctl, Kate, Filelight, Okular etc. Gnome has just as many, it's just that I decide to pull from both for XFCE4 cause they integrate quite nicely with it.

I maintain an XFCE4 themed and pretty tricked out, very nice looking and with compositor off. It looks just as modern as KDE and GNOME.
                I agree. Same here.

Comment

Working...
                X