Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Wayland Session: "It's Been Working Great!"

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Wayland Session: "It's Been Working Great!"

As a lot of active development continues around the KDE Plasma 6 desktop and the developers eyeing a beta in a few months, it appears work on this Qt6-ported desktop environment is coming together quite nicely...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    KDE developer Kai Uwe Brouli

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:
      Whoops, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Meanwhile I can't even use the current Plasma (Wayland) from Fedora 38 because the mouse sensibility goes thru the roof when switching to Wayland and the mouse settings don't work.

Comment

I've been forced to use windows on my work pc for the past few years and didn't bother replacing my personal computer when it broke a couple of years ago.

Now that I finally did it, I was unpleasantly surprised when things like alt-tab, ctrl-alt-t, or alt-f2 didn't work.

I'm told it's a wayland issue, but manjaro guys set wayland as the default session regardless.

I don't rely on my personal computer that much anymore and honestly I don't really have time to use it extensively for now. I still hope version 6 fixes this, because it makes linux difficult to recommend to people.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Meanwhile I can't even use the current Plasma (Wayland) from Fedora 38 because the mouse sensibility goes thru the roof when switching to Wayland and the mouse settings don't work.
            My biggest problem with their wayland session is they are acceralating mouse scrolling speed too. Overall mouse sensibility changes between wayland and x11 both in Kde and in Gnome but only in Kde mouse scrolling speed changes as well. And decreasing scrolling speed through settings is not working correctly either. I can't put my finger on it but their accerelation for scrolling is really weird somehow.

Comment

I really hope they manage to implement gamma control for Wayland for the release - that's basically the last thing keeping me on X11 at the moment ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post

My biggest problem with their wayland session is they are acceralating mouse scrolling speed too. Overall mouse sensibility changes between wayland and x11 both in Kde and in Gnome but only in Kde mouse scrolling speed changes as well. And decreasing scrolling speed through settings is not working correctly either. I can't put my finger on it but their accerelation for scrolling is really weird somehow.
                The behavior between Xorg and Wayland of the mouse / touchpad has always been different and I must say that in my case on Xorg it sucks, when I used chrome on xorg I needed an extension to have decent speed, on wayland it works fine for me and the adjustment also works, so maybe a driver problem, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

The behavior between Xorg and Wayland of the mouse / touchpad has always been different and I must say that in my case on Xorg it sucks, when I used chrome on xorg I needed an extension to have decent speed, on wayland it works fine for me and the adjustment also works, so maybe a driver problem, but I don't know.
                  It's probably fine on chromium browsers but its too fast for firefox and for the rest of the system such as scrolling in dolphin. I also enable toolkit.tabbox.switchByScrolling​ option in firefox to scroll through tabs and since default scrolling is accerelated its not one scroll-one tab change like in Gnome. If you scroll a bit more than necessery it changes two tabs instead of one. If I change and decrease scrolling speed from settings scrolling only once doesn't change the tabs at all for instance. They must be accerelating by 0.5 or 0.7 but I'm not sure.

Comment

Plasma 6 is coming together along with associated components like the Qt 6.6 toolkit next month that will provide the ability for Qt applications to survive a restart of the Wayland compositor.
                    A nice addition, but is the compositor (still) crash-prone enough to need this feature?

Comment

Working...
                    X