KDE Plasma 6 Wayland Session: "It's Been Working Great!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I know. I was just making fun of how many Kwin crashes related to Wayland we have already seen this year. And the year before. And the year before.

So, "plenty of reasons" now means "one reason, unrelated to Plasma". Duly noted.
    How is updating plasma without restarting all your applications unrelated? odd.

Comment

Nice, best DE becomes even better

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
        Nice, best DE becomes even better
        Someone plays with KDE, someone works. Or how else to explain that one starts stable KDE Neon or another distribution with KDE and there are still some problems in KDE? Even after a clean install, the app keeps crashing? Are there such problems with XFCE, MATE, GNOME, icewm, ... ? They are not or hardly at all. I've been waiting years for KDE to work since version 4.x. There is always a short period when it works and then it doesn't work again for a long time. Designed for work. I have games to play.​

Comment

Plasma on Wayland works at least using Intel + Kubuntu 23.04 + backports, with very minor inconveniences (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-77182). The big problem comes when trying to automate things like sending keys to programs or reacting to what programs are showing. Other people wrote it better:
          AutoHotkey is a power user tool. Those are two APIs from it that a ton of users use to automate their workflows using smart scripts that require no input (other than get triggered):
          - https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/WinGetPos.htm
          - https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/l...elGetColor.htm

As you can clearly see, "spying" on another app's pixels or position is in no way malware and it's perfectly legit and valid use case.

Windows, which is used by the vast majority of people who care about GUIs the most (not servers), allows this. So it's obviously far from insecure as paranoid guys from Wayland claim.
          -- Adapted from https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...45#post1372445
          There is more information on https://www.reddit.com/r/wayland/comments/85q78y/why_im_not_going_to_switch_to_wayland_yet/​

Comment

I wonder if mouse scrolling on the titlebar will shade/unshade the window, it doesn't seem to work on wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
              I've been forced to use windows on my work pc for the past few years and didn't bother replacing my personal computer when it broke a couple of years ago.

Now that I finally did it, I was unpleasantly surprised when things like alt-tab, ctrl-alt-t, or alt-f2 didn't work.

I'm told it's a wayland issue, but manjaro guys set wayland as the default session regardless.

I don't rely on my personal computer that much anymore and honestly I don't really have time to use it extensively for now. I still hope version 6 fixes this, because it makes linux difficult to recommend to people.
              Check that the proxy config on KDE is not set to Automatically Detect (it shouldn't be, but...), or that your network fully implements Proxy Autodetection. I've had some extremely wonky behavior with that option set on networks that couldn't resolve "wpad" for whatever reason (some KDE component hangs out for a loooooooong time and KDE doesn't finish starting up; it's worst on Wayland but X11 can be very wonky too). The worst offender (for me, on Arch) was LibreOffice taking minutes (> 2) to open up the first window.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                Someone plays with KDE, someone works. Or how else to explain that one starts stable KDE Neon or another distribution with KDE and there are still some problems in KDE? Even after a clean install, the app keeps crashing? Are there such problems with XFCE, MATE, GNOME, icewm, ... ? They are not or hardly at all. I've been waiting years for KDE to work since version 4.x. There is always a short period when it works and then it doesn't work again for a long time. Designed for work. I have games to play.​
                Likewise the problems and bugs are there on GNOME and on all DE and even on Windows !!!
                ...and then don't think that you are the only one working with the pc, I work on it in the office I have Tumbleweed with KDE, but look at the case !!!​

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Meanwhile I can't even use the current Plasma (Wayland) from Fedora 38 because the mouse sensibility goes thru the roof when switching to Wayland and the mouse settings don't work.
                  So wayland is even worse garbage than x11, tell us something we don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                    I like KDE, I've tried to use it but there's something that puts me off, like random panel crashes, when I launch dolphin sometimes it opens instantly then sometimes there's a delay before it opens ,or sometimes I login and there's about a 10 second delay before I get to the desktop, but I've found the solution is to use LXQT with Kwin as the window manager, its pretty much like running KDE but without all the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post

I like KDE, I've tried to use it but there's something that puts me off, like random panel crashes, when I launch dolphin sometimes it opens instantly then sometimes there's a delay before it opens ,or sometimes I login and there's about a 10 second delay before I get to the desktop, but I've found the solution is to use LXQT with Kwin as the window manager, its pretty much like running KDE but without all the bugs.
                      So for me LXQT is not an alternative because it is not ready. A person has to complete a lot of things there himself or set them somewhere in a text file. But I'm looking forward to it when it matures.

Comment

Working...
                      X