Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeCAD 0.21 Released For Advancing Open-Source CAD

Phoronix: FreeCAD 0.21 Released For Advancing Open-Source CAD

Just days after the FreeCAD 0.21-rc release, FreeCAD 0.21 is now available for this popular open-source CAD software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone up-to-date on how the progress on toporename (and integrating the other amazing changes of realthunder) is going?

​​​Not that FreeCAD still won't have a lot of rough edges even after that, it certainly needs an UI overhaul too.

(That said, it is IMO the best FOSS parametric CAD there is (the other option I know of is SolveSpace which has a more cohesive UI but is really incomplete for my needs), but it is still way more clunky than the propriety options.)

(And then there is OpenSCAD, but that is not parametric CAD, it is programmatic CAD.)
    Last edited by Vorpal; 02 August 2023, 12:31 PM. Reason: Rewrite first sentence to not have confusing grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
      Anyone up-to-date on how the progress on toporename (and integrating the other amazing changes of realthunder) is going?
      Yes, 2 out of 5 phases done, no visible changes in 0.21, work expected to be complete in time for v1.0 (next big update, some time in 2024, I think).

Details: https://ondsel.com/blog/milestone-to...x-phase-2-done

Disclaimer: I co-authored that post.

Comment

prokoudine
        I hope to soon have enough money to help fund FreeCAD. It really is an amazing tool.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post
          prokoudine
          I hope to soon have enough money to help fund FreeCAD. It really is an amazing tool.
          The FreeCAD project association has very serious plans about issuing further grants to contributors, so I'm sure it will be much appreciated!

Comment

A bit off-topic.

I remember working on a Compaq DeskPro with 2 crt monitors back in 88, running MicroStationCAD and it was a bit slow, even though that pc was the fastest available (286 maybe?)

But then moved on to another field.

That said, i always wondered, which part (cpu or gpu) its more important in todays CAD packages?

Comment

Working...
            X