No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Making Progress On Sound Themes, Lower Cursor Latency On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Making Progress On Sound Themes, Lower Cursor Latency On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Making Progress On Sound Themes, Lower Cursor Latency On Wayland

With most developers having recovered from the recent Akademy KDE developer conference, Plasma 6 is back to seeing a lot of new development activity for what will be the next major open-source desktop release likely debuting in early 2024...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On Slackware current, am running Plasma 5.27.6, but since I have an nvidia gpu I have not had luck running it with wayland from sddm. I have been becoming more and more impressed with KDE Plasma though. I have some knit-picks here and there over it but for the most part it's pretty impressive and the dark theme for it is very easy on the eyes. Plenty of options to really customize to ones taste, that's coming from a die hard XFCE user.

It's really growing on me. As far as desktops go, it has to be as modern and current as it gets. It's running a lot of bits and bobs underneath and it's a bit overwhelming to see all the files it creates @/home/usr.

Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Looking forward testing it as it becomes available on openSUSE kde unstable repos.

Comment

I was actually kind of knocked off balance by realizing how much kate has progressed, definitely not the kate I remember from around 2007 and it's really been about that long since I have tried KDE. Kate now has a LSP client.
        Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Judging from the screenshot, I think I prefer Windows 95's interface for handling sound themes.

Comment

Can we have a zero latency hardware cursor back please?
            Why such simple thing introduced in windows 98 era is so problematic now?

Last edited by kokoko3k; 29 July 2023, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              I have some knit-picks​
              Sorry to nitpick, but seeing a misspelling that embodies a fundamental misunderstanding of where an idiom comes from is a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                I was actually kind of knocked off balance by realizing how much kate has progressed, definitely not the kate I remember from around 2007 and it's really been about that long since I have tried KDE. Kate now has a LSP client.
                Kate has been my favorite IDE for a while, especially considering it's surprisingly light-weight for how many built-in features it has, if you're using KDE. My only gripe with it is how many dependencies it has if you're not using KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  Can we have a zero latency hardware cursor back please?
                  Why such simple thing introduced in windows 98 era is so problematic now?
                  Fallout of atomic modesetting has terribly long half-life period. /megatonofpuns
                  Hopefully this valley of tears will finally be crossed this or next year.
                  There is one super ugly issue left with AMD AMS & VRR hardware cursor handling, unfortunately...

Comment

ssokolow Not one of my strengths. I'm not a master of the English language. I also can make up words, I am very self affirming with them too. I like knit-pick.

Ah yes, the inadvertent gadfly. Feel free to ignore my posts.
                    Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X