Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

How? What tools do you use?
    I don't, but I've seen videos on twitter of people using prompts to fill up empty image or replace existing part of image with something else on Photoshop, Im pretty sure someone's already made that same plugin for gimp

Comment

What those goals and philosophy are? Would you please care to explain them?
      It's in the name: GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's meant for image manipulation rather than illustration. Instead of drawing something new, it's meant to blur a background, sharpen an area, change color balances, removable blemish, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

I don't, but I've seen videos on twitter of people using prompts to fill up empty image or replace existing part of image with something else on Photoshop, Im pretty sure someone's already made that same plugin for gimp
        "I've seen videos".

Oh, that one! It means you didn't use it professionally!

I tried them. They might offer some "interesting " stuff, but professional graphic designers just use it as the base of an idea and continue a very interactive process.​

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post

It's in the name: GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's meant for image manipulation rather than illustration. Instead of drawing something new, it's meant to blur a background, sharpen an area, change color balances, removable blemish, etc.
        It seems a bit limited in that regard too. Also, many plugins are unmaintained. Photoshop is a bloated behemoth, but has tons more features.

Comment

So, 2023 is the year of the GIMP (3.0)?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            The GIMP is not trying to be a photoshop alternative as much as its userbase wants it to be one. GIMP is not meant to be used for/not designed for drawing. It's an important distinction to make. The GIMP is it's own project with its own philosophy and goals.
            And we see how much this choice is a success...

90 percent of the people are asking more or less for a PS clone with open source code. And after, they complain nobody is funding the project.

Comment

"I've seen videos".

Oh, that one! It means you didn't use it professionally!

I tried them. They might offer some "interesting " stuff, but professional graphic designers just use it as the base of an idea and continue a very interactive process.​
              But... but, we were comparing it with resynthesizer.

I tried it to reveal obstructed... stuff... And the result was a different league better than resynthesizer.

Also comic translation is a job and they use the tool almost exclusively for cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                The GIMP is not trying to be a photoshop alternative as much as its userbase wants it to be one. GIMP is not meant to be used for/not designed for drawing. It's an important distinction to make. The GIMP is it's own project with its own philosophy and goals.
                What? Photoshop isn't for drawing either, that's Illustrator's job. Photoshop and GIMP are both raster "Image Manipulation Programs".

People don't want GIMP to be an amazing drawing program. They just want it to be close to as powerful and easy to use as Photoshop. That's a tough ask for a volunteer project, so trying to set up a foundation for funding is great. The GIMP folks know the high bar is Photoshop.

General questions Is there a company or a foundation behind GIMP? Can I use GIMP commercially? What’s the GIMP’s license, and how do I comply with it? Someone sold or tried to sell me GIMP on a 3rd party website. Is this legal? Are you trying to develop …

Comment

Will a foundation make the development pace be 300X faster?
                  They should make the filters much faster. E.g. the Fattal, Mantiuk, Reinhard etc. are unusable for larger pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

But... but, we were comparing it with resynthesizer.

I tried it to reveal obstructed... stuff... And the result was a different league better than resynthesizer.

Also comic translation is a job and they use the tool almost exclusively for cleaning
                    I’m not comparing, they’re just different tools. Not everything have to be a competition. I wouldn’t mind also seeing some machine learning stuff as plugins (I can’t bring myself to call it AI though).

Comment

It seems a bit limited in that regard too. Also, many plugins are unmaintained. Photoshop is a bloated behemoth, but has tons more features.
                      That would be awful strange if an expensive product didn't have a ton more features than a free one that needs niche skills to contribute to.

Comment

Working...
                      X