Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 3.0 Release Candidates Hoped For This Year

Phoronix: GIMP 3.0 Release Candidates Hoped For This Year

There's been hopes of seeing the GIMP 3.0 release in 2023 or at least release candidates. GIMP developers recently finished a week-long meet-up and it's looking like they may be on track for at least beginning the GIMP 3.0 release candidate phase this year. GIMP 3.0 has remained quite elusive and in the works for the past decade as the much anticipated port to GTK3 and a host of other enhancements to this open-source alternative to Adobe Photoshop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

<ducking_head>And they are still ahead of GNU Hurd</ducking_head>

Comment

This is great, GIMP 3.0 is not just about a new UI toolkit, but so much more.

I hope the resynthesizer plugin will be updated for it. It's one thing I use all the time (and afaic it should be built in).

Comment

Will a foundation make the development pace be 300X faster?

- No more slow adoption of newer GTK.
        - A lot better UI/UX.
        - A lot more competitive with Adobe Photoshop and related in features and such, but please always consider optimization of usage of computer resources.
        - More built-in plugins. Edit raw images without install extra plugin.
        - Better layers and Color Modes. Krita is a lot better in that regard.
        - Code sharing between projects of similar scope: Krita, Darktable, LazPaint, AzPainter, QAquarelle, CinePaint, Gimel Studio, etc.

Gimp is interesting, but a joke of project.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post
          This is great, GIMP 3.0 is not just about a new UI toolkit, but so much more.

I hope the resynthesizer plugin will be updated for it. It's one thing I use all the time (and afaic it should be built in).
          Go home grandpa, we use AI around here ✌️✌️

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Go home grandpa, we use AI around here ✌️✌️
            How? What tools do you use?

Comment

Good to hear, it's still a great tool!

Comment

The GIMP is not trying to be a photoshop alternative as much as its userbase wants it to be one. GIMP is not meant to be used for/not designed for drawing. It's an important distinction to make. The GIMP is it's own project with its own philosophy and goals.

Comment

GIMP developers were able to meet in person [...]

The meet-up took place at the Blender Foundation headquarters in Amsterdam.
                  Fantastic. Blender has a lot of experience and success getting FOSS funding.

Plans for a possible GIMP Foundation were also discussed as a proper entity for the GIMP software.
                  The prospects of this are extremely exciting.

Blender, Thunderbird and Krita are all shining examples of FOSS benefited by making a foundation.

After years of limping along abandoned by Mozilla -- Thunderbird now has what? 2.7 million dollars at their disposal and the development the last 2 years has been groundbreaking.

Blender, same thing -- millions available to supercharge development.

I really hope to see GIMP benefited, from my usage of 3.0 Alpha the last year it's already groundbreaking in comparison in terms of functionality.

Don't let any bad actors from profiteers get in the way. Very proud of all the developers and work they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    The GIMP is not trying to be a photoshop alternative as much as its userbase wants it to be one. GIMP is not meant to be used for/not designed for drawing. It's an important distinction to make. The GIMP is it's own project with its own philosophy and goals.
                    What those goals and philosophy are? Would you please care to explain them?

Comment

Working...
                    X