GTK 4.11.1 Released With Better Textures, Wayland Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 4.11.1 Released With Better Textures, Wayland Fractional Scaling

Phoronix: GTK 4.11.1 Released With Better Textures, Wayland Fractional Scaling

Following this week's Qt 6.5 LTS and Slint 1.0 Rust toolkit, debuting today is GTK 4.11.1 as the first development release of the new toolkit series in leading up to GTK 4.12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about Qt and Kwin compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      There will be various Wayland fixes in the next 200 KDE/plasma releases.

Comment

What about cheese and biscuits?

Comment

Is it still shipping with worse font rendering than even GTK+2?

Comment

It got Wayland fractional scaling a while ago, with a recent update adding an option in the settings to choose between scaling the whole screen (like classic x11 scaling did), or just scaling the shell and applications that support scaling.

Comment

Imagine if Gnome gets updated sooner than Plasma, given how far release 6.0 is. I thought we would've to wait for GTK5 in the distant future, now we don't, wooo!

Comment

I think it wasn't backported to Qt 5, but Qt 6 has it implemented. Kwin compositor supports the protocol. Next release should be pretty decent for HiDPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

It got Wayland fractional scaling a while ago, with a recent update adding an option in the settings to choose between scaling the whole screen (like classic x11 scaling did), or just scaling the shell and applications that support scaling.
                  So, this is different than 'getting fractional scaling' as we've known it so far. Instead of GTK rendering to 2:1 or 1:1 and the compositor scaling it to a nearby fraction (read: blurring), this provides a way for GTK to tell Wayland "Hey, I can render this at native scale myself, don't mess with what I give you.". You end up with much crisper results. This means that GTK 4 apps compiled against 4.11+ are going to be 'pixel perfect' at fractional scales instead of slightly blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                    Is it still shipping with worse font rendering than even GTK+2?
                    Some people live in their bubble and refuse to admit Mac/Apple aesthetic is not the mainstream preference and taste of people, nor is dpi >= 200% scale any time soon. They roar excuses such as "We are volunteers! We are not paid! We are not obligated to prioritize our development time to please random user complaints! Commercial sponsorships are only for hosting and not into our pockets!"

I sometimes think the only team that can hold such altitude, treating GTK as like a private pet project, is the original GIMP team. It is they who started GTK brand. Not the current GNOME. But I am nobody, a small potato, not a billionaire who can fund a GTK fork by myself. So yeah, we are stuck.

Comment

Working...
                    X