Google Chrome/Chromium Lands Wayland Fractional Scaling Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

You know what? It is! I don't understand why so many people felt strongly that we shouldn't do this stuff; it's pretty and fast.

I will say though, several Windows apps I use on the regular on my work computer still have blurry renders or are stuck at 1:1 scaling, so they're not totally out of the woods either.
    that can often be fixed by overriding the scaling behavior

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

That is good, but you need double - instead of just one.
      In my testing with Chromium it only requires the second one:

Code:
      --ozone-platform=wayland
      Verify that it runs natively on Wayland and not X: there are few ways of doing that, but my favorite is to run `xprop` command. Your cursor will then turn to + and will let you pick any X11 window to fetch its properties. If it doesnt, it's a Wayland window.
      Thank you for your help. The problem it's not wayland. I've used xprop and there is no "x" cursor, it is running on wayland. The problem is that it doesn't scale.

Even if I scale manually with --force-device-scale-factor=2, it looks broken

HoqC.png

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Its one thing doing something, its another thing to do it right.
        Why then does desktop linux exist?

I remember KDE, Gnome from years ago. Bugged terribly.

Basically all of Linux is a slow evolution from a swamp to not a bad system.

Your words contradict the whole gnu/linux project and its slow evolution​.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Are there some weaknesses in GNU/linux ? Yes, but Windows also has its weaknesses.
          In the GNU/Linux world it is difficult to implement a feature that works perfectly right away, because developing software and testing it on hundreds of software and hardware configurations has an unsustainable cost for those who offer free software (in this case, free is to be understood as free beer ).​

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I remember windows from hours ago. Bugged, bloated, insecure, spyware utter mess. Wake me up when windows crawls out of the swamp. Just kidding, it won't happen. It will rot there.

Last edited by Volta; 27 March 2023, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post

As far as I can tell, Apple renders the UI at whatever resolution they feel like and scales it down to the actual screen pixels. It's a stupendously simple solution to the entire problem, provided the scaling is cheap enough.
              This is not so simple, KDE did something similar, and things got blurred when scaled down. Now they don't need it anymore, at least with wayland

Comment

Originally posted by joshx1 View Post

Have you tried it? It's pretty bad for a lot of things. And this is a megacorp behind it.

The only time scaling has worked "out of the box" for me was MacOS on laptops, atleast the M1 lineup. I was really impressed how well the text held up. Not sure if it's "true fractional" though.
                They don't have to support hundreds of hardware configurations, having dedicated hardware for them is much easier.

Comment

Working...
                X