GNOME Shell & Mutter 44 Release Candidates Bring Last Minute Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pranav View Post

I think by the release of GNOME 50, it will be very stable and get merged.
    Too bad i grow old and die by that time...

Comment

When GNOME will eat only 800MB RAM after booting up on Arch Linux? I tried GNOME so many times and I just can't set anything useful, everything needs an extension. I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality. My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

btw: No icons like Steam, Discord, or anything runs in the background by default on GNOME, it's annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by SoongVilda View Post
        When GNOME will eat only 800MB RAM after booting up on Arch Linux? I tried GNOME so many times and I just can't set anything useful, everything needs an extension. I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality. My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

btw: No icons like Steam, Discord, or anything runs in the background by default on GNOME, it's annoying.
        How bizarre. I'm running GNOME 43 and can "switch my headphones from the bar" with the built-in functionality out of the box:Screenshot from 2023-03-07 12-09-24.png
        Oh and "background running with icons" is coming in GNOME 44. FYI.

Comment

I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth
          My experience is opposite, I switch from KDE to GNOME and I'm more happy.... though not entirely satisfied as both DEs still suck.

SoongVilda install Ubuntu, it has nice orange+purple theme and icons, necessary gnome shell extensions for desktop icons and taskbar icons for background apps, unlike Archlinux, Ubuntu support Secure Boot out of the box so can boot in any machine, apt is better package manager (doesn't break all the time like in Archlinux where pkg maintainer forgets to push his updated gpg key).

Comment

12 years of nothing.

Comment

I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.
              Pretty positive you can do both of those from the Quick Settings menu.

I wouldn't know because I hooked my headphones to a mixer.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality.
              These changes aren't useless though. They just mainly consist of backend changes and the changes that were linked to aren't changes from 43 to 44, they're from the beta to RC.

My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

KDE and Gnome use about the same amount of memory. I checked in the past few days.

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
                12 years of nothing.
                I don't really understand how anyone can say this. Generally the people who hate Gnome hate it because of it's changed. I mean just in the last two years they made a significant overhaul of Gnome Shell and on the past 12 years, Mutter went from requiring an X server to being able to run on top of an X server or using Wayland. That's a big change all by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  My experience is opposite, I switch from KDE to GNOME and I'm more happy.... though not entirely satisfied as both DEs still suck.

SoongVilda install Ubuntu, it has nice orange+purple theme and icons, necessary gnome shell extensions for desktop icons and taskbar icons for background apps, unlike Archlinux, Ubuntu support Secure Boot out of the box so can boot in any machine, apt is better package manager (doesn't break all the time like in Archlinux where pkg maintainer forgets to push his updated gpg key).
                  Yeah, right. Because Ubuntu isn't made by absolute morons. If you want apt better run Debian Testing or whatever. At least that way you don't have to tear out that abomination called snap to have a bearable experience, make sure that it stays out and then are left with Flatpaks or PPAs to get some of the most basic software. Thanks for nothing.

Comment

I see michaiel is getting bullied by certain fandom and their main player to include "crash fixes" in this article but not in theirs. This is so sad. Press f on the chat boys...

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

The thing is - it is ready. There is just nobody really interested to land this and I can understand it. From a design perspective you introduce a workaround for a driver/hardware unawareness. Maybe I don't understand something in this process, but wouldn't it be the better idea to add this to Linux/Mesa with an interface where an app can ask for more performance?

For my part I don't like the implementation.
                      The thing is - its not ready. Look at yhe merge request, hes just ported it to the gnome 44 changes and that comes alongside some hefty things that need testing or retesting. Case in point is that the newest commentor as of my comment is reporting the return of a cursor bug.

Look i get that you all want to make the gnome devs look bad but they often do without you needing to be dishonest about it, just look at the GTK fractional scaling bug. This is a large patchset that alongside the KMS changes really screw with a lot of the codebase in lots of unpredictable ways which is why its taken so long. Its not merged cause it never quite seems to be bug free meanwhile other people are also trying to fix bugs and effect large changes in mutter

Comment

Working...
                      X