Wine 8.0-rc4 Released With Another 25 Bugs Fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

If you don't get my point, which was clear by the way, then you are in no position to ask questions about libraries and APIs, just use Proton it does everything for you.

PS: Oh, and by the way, a graphics API, is a graphics library. MESA, is a graphics library. Not small, but a library. Shocking, i know... So no "oranges to watermelons", the only difference is one is for audio another is for video.
    You're being salty for no reason.. I just asked a simple question related to a bug report I made without even implying I want something to change in the way Wine works. I have no energy arguing about philosophical nonsense.
    Last edited by user1; 14 January 2023, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      When can Wine get Office, Revit and SolidWorks working please?!? Though these days FreeCAD is becoming a more viable option for the last one.
      And don't forget Visual Studio.
      With the actual Visual Studio plus WSL2 it is on Windows possible, to write Linux-programs on it, running and debugging it with WSL2 and detecting performance flaws, etc.
      So, if Visual Studio would running on Linux, you would also create and debugging Linux programs on it.

It is in WINE possible to start Linux programs in it:

Code:
      wine cmd
      start /unix /usr/bin/xclock
      Code:
      wine cmd / c  start /unix /usr/bin/xclock
      ( with the "c" direct on the "/". I can't write it here, beacuse then the forum outputs a "Error Loading Preview. Error information: 403 error forbidden" )

So you could use every Windows-IDE running on WINE to compile ans start Linux-programs on it.
      And possible you could also debugging Linux-programs inside Windows IDEs on WINE.
      If it is possible for Windows with WSL2, why then not with Linux and WINE?​

Comment

His question was: When will it be happen?
        You say, that with a donation, it will be quicker.

What is missing? The specific answer:
        How much must be donated, that the support will be until which time implemented?

So without that specific answer, it is more like: Donate and then it will be in any time be implemented or not.

So in this case, the better link would be to CodeWeavers. Thats a company, which gives guaranties.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

His question was: When will it be happen?
          You say, that with a donation, it will be quicker.

What is missing? The specific answer:
          How much must be donated, that the support will be until which time implemented?

So without that specific answer, it is more like: Donate and then it will be in any time be implemented or not.

So in this case, the better link would be to CodeWeavers. Thats a company, which gives guaranties.
          I know it can be hard for some people to understand subtle points, but it should be pretty clear that I meant they should shut up and help instead of complaining on free open source software not working exactly how they want them to

Comment

The headline is obviously incorrect.

In time for this release 25 bugs were marked as fixed. Does not mean any of them were actually fixed between Wine 8 rc3-rc4.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              The headline is obviously incorrect.

In time for this release 25 bugs were marked as fixed. Does not mean any of them were actually fixed between Wine 8 rc3-rc4.
              I do understand the subtile difference you want to point out. But can you realy ever state that a bug is fixed unless you can mathematicaly prove that there are no existing circumstances that this bug can appear again? The most bugs got titled as fixed if enough runs have sufficiently showed that it does not pop up again. There is always a convergent principle of proof implied.

Comment

I think we should just stand back for a moment and think about what staggering and amazing pieces of software WINE and the Valve supported fork Proton are.

The Steam Deck is, after all, a little (but powerful) x86-64 Linux computer running Arch Linux ... not Windows, emulated Windows or a virtual machine of Windows. Almost every game you run on the Steam Deck is a Windows game, written primarily for Windows. WINE is translating Windows 64-bit API calls/DirectX calls (real time and mostly at 95%+ of native speed) to Linux ABI kernel/library calls. It works. Very well. Not with ALL applications as you say but with an amazing number of applications.

I run Linux Mint because I like the Cinnamon Desktop and have to work with people who use Windows and just occasionally have to run something on my laptop. They understand it. It works. I love it! I have Steam installed on my laptop (which is a 4yo Asus ROG). It struggles with the very latest games (but it would under Windows as well). I loving playing the Metro 2033 series of games (and similar FPS games on it). That's on Linux Mint using the WINE translation layer to run Windows games and run them well. I might switch to another distro (like Ubuntu or Manjaro KDE - both of which I like) as unfortunately Linux Mint seems stuck on Xorg for the foreseeable future which is a shame. Everyone has their favourite desktop/editor/programming language. Wars have been fought over less!

I use the latest LibreOffice which works well for me. I have used LibreOffice (and previously OpenOffice) for over a decade now without having problems swapping documents with colleagues. I know some people have had a lot of problems with interoperability. I have had some formatting problems but nothing serious. Works for me. Your experience may be different. Microsoft seem to be moving more and more over to a subscription model (like Office 365) which you can use on Linux. I use Google Docs/Mail/Drive (because I like my information shared with the rest of the world ... rolls eyes) but it works for me. I will probably move over to NextCloud although my Pi CM4/Axzez Interceptor based file/application server might struggle with that and all the other stuff running on it. Might need another Pi server :-)

My feeling is that Microsoft Windows and Office as paid for applications will become a lower priority. They will concentrate on SAAS and PAAS (for Windows) especially in the context of Azure. It has taken decades but people are (very slowly) starting to discover open source applications fir day-to-day use. Look at the Raspberry Pi 400 and how usable that is for light office work. I use one myself as a test rig computer. It runs Kodi beautifully! Modern games - I don't think so but it does run Doom and Quake 2 :-) Think of more people using them in schools in the USA/UK (where I am). It would be 10x better with a built-in M.2 SSD slot (or even built in eMMC like the CM4).

I agree that more could be done in terms of WINE comparability with premier applications like Microsoft Office, SolidWorks or emulation layers like OpenAL but gives the developers a break (or volunteer to help maybe) . I would like to know how much crossover (pun is deliberate) there is between WINE and ReactOS.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I do understand the subtile difference you want to point out. But can you realy ever state that a bug is fixed unless you can mathematicaly prove that there are no existing circumstances that this bug can appear again? The most bugs got titled as fixed if enough runs have sufficiently showed that it does not pop up again. There is always a convergent principle of proof implied.
                  You love speculating, I am an active user of Wine and their bugzilla. When a bug is indeed conclusively fixed, there's a field in the bugzilla which is called "Fixed by SHA1". If this commit is made between N and N-1 Wine releases, you can say for sure Wine version N fixed a certain bug [report]. Otherwise you absolutely cannot thus the headline is wrong. It should have stated:

"Wine 8.0-rc4 Released With Other 25 Bug Reports Closed"

So, there are two errors here. Not "fixed" but "closed", not "bugs" but "Bug reports".

I'm not a native English speaker but it looks like "Another 25 bug reports" is also incorrect as this adjective can only be applied to the singular, not the plural.

Comment

Originally posted by UseLinuxNotWindows View Post
                    I think we should just stand back for a moment and think about what staggering and amazing pieces of software WINE and the Valve supported fork Proton are.
                    I think we should just stand back for a moment and think about what a pity OS Linux on the desktop is in terms of API/ABI stability and support if its best part is an emulation layer for the stable Win32 API.

FTFY.

Also, you should think that maybe Windows is not a bad OS after all and using Linux amounts to constantly fighting with bugs and regressions and using Wine/DXVK, no matter how good they are, will always be a hit and miss depending on the title while in Windows you just install and run (aside from very old games using very old versions of Direct3D (before 8.0) but those won't always work with Wine either).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                      Recently I realized that Wine needs the Linux native OpenAL package to be installed in order for Windows software that uses OpenAL to work. Does anyone know if this situation will change when Wine will finish its PE conversion, or will it remain the same?
                      As you state in another post, OpenAL is just a library. On Windows I guess it has dependencies on the Windows audio stack, and I guess the native Linux has dependencies on the Linux audio stack. Most likely ALSA or something. I think you would get better performance using the native OpenAL stack, as it's, well, native.
                      If OpenAL is distributed together with your Windows application, have you tried to adding a DLL override and mark it as native? If my understanding is correct, it would make Wine choose the native Windows DLL over the built-in Wine implementation.

I doubt it would be different when the PE conversion is finished, but I might be wrong

Comment

Working...
                      X