GNOME 43 Released With More Apps Ported To GTK4, Wayland Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
    I wish they will come up with something new instead of "Copying" the macOS.
    This isn't copying macOS. It's making the complete opposite of Windows 7, even if that means absolute horrid UX out of the box (Ubuntu/Pop!_OS do not count).
    Last edited by tildearrow; 21 September 2022, 08:30 PM. Reason: Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by johncall View Post
      The release notes say, "When connecting to GNOME with a remote desktop app (using RDP), it is now possible to receive audio from the host."

I'm excite to try out that new feature!
      They are even working on remote login with RDP now.
      All the mysterious things that Wayland enables

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I hoped that by this time and by having Red Hat support, they could've come with with a serious advantage over KDE Plasma, like HDR support.
        Much of the work enabling HDR is actually not in Mutter or KWin. The Gnome sponsors are doing a lot to implement support in the infrastructure that is necessary to enable HDR, e.g. Wayland.

Gnome is not the only one contributing but certainly in a leading position. All compositors will benefit from this..

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the one of the two things that keeps Windows 10 installed on a drive in my system. Even the "Well, it's technically HDR" that my TV offers almost always looks better than its standard picture when configured right with both Real and Fake HDR.

The other is MSFS 2020 not running on Linux...granted that game doesn't even play good on my PC when set to potato due to my GPU not being up to par...

If GNOME could pull off HDR I'd probably switch to a minimal GNOME session for gaming sessions. I don't really multitask when gaming so I could make GNOME work as a single use gaming session. I'd still have to use KDE to not feel constrained when I'd be doing anything else.
          .. if only Win10 had good HDR support :P

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This isn't copying macOS. It's making the complete opposite of Windows, even if that means absolute horrid UX out of the box (Ubuntu/Pop!_OS do not count).
            Something more horrid than Windows UX? Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Something more horrid than Windows UX? Impossible.
              Oh my freaking, sorry, clarified. Windows 7 to be more exact.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Oh my freaking, sorry, clarified. Windows 7 to be more exact.
                I find that Windows 7 was the first, and so far the last version of Windows with a genuinely good UI. It felt intuitive and well organised. Even Windows 11 is a mess in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I like GNOME 43, it is really nice and I look forward to more apps ported to GTK 4.
                  I still use it with gedit and GNOME Terminal though, not with the new Text Editor and Console app.
                  Many apps are still GTK3 apps but with Adwaita, not ported to GTK 4.
                  Console is pretty handy for the feature of drag-n-drop the file.
                  There's also more visual cues when connecting to remote sessions.
                  Worth to give it a try.

Comment

my biggest issue so far is that they dropped tree from the list view in nautilus. I hear that it should make it's way back in the next release. big loss.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I find that Windows 7 was the first, and so far the last version of Windows with a genuinely good UI. It felt intuitive and well organised. Even Windows 11 is a mess in comparison.
                      Windows 3.1 wasn't that bad too .

I think Microsoft must have had a team building event on LSD when they came up with the win 8 ui. I know they have tried to make it usable on mobile and desktop devices which is almost impossible.
                      The tiles focus on their smartphone windows was quite nice. But tiles on a desktop....and then removing the start button. Was not one of their best ideas.

Back to topic. Gnome really shines when you have multiple screens and system76 autotiling. And of course some open source driver based hardware like Intel or AMD. This will grant you a snappy Wayland experience with gnome.

One thing I'm dearly missing is a basic preview for pictures and PDFs in Nautilus I think unity nautilus once had it?. Spacebar it will open the document in a half screen filling view (or fullscreen) and the arrowkeys to navigate through the folder content in the background. The content in displaying zone will be automatically updated to the now selcetd document/PIC in the background. I don't know why this is missing? At least in the current pop os distro I could find it.

Last edited by CochainComplex; 22 September 2022, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X