GNOME 43 Released With More Apps Ported To GTK4, Wayland Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Oh my freaking, sorry, clarified. Windows 7 to be more exact.
    Good joke. Windows 7 was quite usable in comparison to 10.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post

Console is pretty handy for the feature of drag-n-drop the file.
      There's also more visual cues when connecting to remote sessions.
      Worth to give it a try.
      Yeah, Console turns red when you use root, and purple when you use SSH, I think that is really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
        I wish they will come up with something new instead of "Copying" the macOS.
        And I wish KDE folks came up something new instead of copying Windows. When Vista came out, KDE followed with a dark and translucent theme. When Windows moved to a light theme with Windows 7, KDE suddenly decided being black was passé and followed suit. The UI as a whole has always been a Windows replica

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          One thing I'm dearly missing is a basic preview for pictures and PDFs in Nautilus I think unity nautilus once had it?. Spacebar it will open the document in a half screen filling view (or fullscreen) and the arrowkeys to navigate through the folder content in the background. The content in displaying zone will be automatically updated to the now selcetd document/PIC in the background. I don't know why this is missing? At least in the current pop os distro I could find it.
          ​
          Just select your file and press the space bar. If it doesn't work, you are missing the Sushi package (it should appear in the Add-ons section of the Files page in GNOME Software).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

To me, it seems like Gnome's trend of removing features was mostly prevalent in the Gnome 3.xx days. It's one of the reasons Gnome was my least favorite DE back then, apart from the crappy performance and the vertical workflow which was very awkward. Starting with Gnome 40 I haven't even heard about any feature that was being removed.

I've seen some managed to run this game on Proton.
            One day I clicked on Android Studio start file and instead of running it, file manager opened it in a text editor. Small thing but I was using this feature and now I can't choose how nautilus shoud behave when i click on a .sh file.

Comment

Originally posted by Okki View Post

Just select your file and press the space bar. If it doesn't work, you are missing the Sushi package (it should appear in the Add-ons section of the Files page in GNOME Software).
              Indeed, this is a great feature. Gnome-sushi is pre-installed in Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post

One day I clicked on Android Studio start file and instead of running it, file manager opened it in a text editor. Small thing but I was using this feature and now I can't choose how nautilus shoud behave when i click on a .sh file.
                Executing shell scripts directly from the file browser is poor behavior anyway and it was good to have it removed. You can easily create the standard .desktop file to launch Android Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

Executing shell scripts directly from the file browser is poor behavior anyway and it was good to have it removed. You can easily create the standard .desktop file to launch Android Studio.
                  Yes and no. Imagine that on Windows you click .exe file and instead of running it you see a message that system can't find any editor for such file. So you have to manually create a shortcut in programs menu and run it from there. And still in nautilus it was possible to change default behavior.

Anyway I just said that it's not true that Gnome developers don't remove features in new Gnome versions because they still do it.

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post
                    Anyway I just said that it's not true that Gnome developers don't remove features in new Gnome versions because they still do it.
                    Is it really features removed voluntarily, or simply regressions due to a big rewrite, and which will be corrected in a next version (or maybe even revision, which would happen much sooner) ?

Comment

OMG, Nautilus got bad, even for Nautilus.

Font rendering broken, every small interaction completely locks the CPU for half a second or so. Gonna hunt down an older version on debian.

Comment

Working...
                      X