GNOME 43 Released With More Apps Ported To GTK4, Wayland Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 43 Released With More Apps Ported To GTK4, Wayland Enhancements

Phoronix: GNOME 43 Released With More Apps Ported To GTK4, Wayland Enhancements

GNOME 43 is out today as the newest version of this popular open-source desktop environment used by Fedora Workstation, Ubuntu, and many other Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The release notes say, "When connecting to GNOME with a remote desktop app (using RDP), it is now possible to receive audio from the host."

I'm excited to try out that new feature!
    Last edited by johncall; 22 September 2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

They went overkill, with commas, in their release notes, to the point that it makes it difficult, to read. I also found it funny how they switched between : and . before the lists.

All in all it looks like a solid update. Not my cup of tea, but at least it isn't one of those updates that removes choice and functionality for the sake of new user simplicity and clean lines.

Comment

I hoped that by this time and by having Red Hat support, they could've come with with a serious advantage over KDE Plasma, like HDR support.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I hoped that by this time and by having Red Hat support, they could've come with with a serious advantage over KDE Plasma, like HDR support.
          https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/2356 sadly is not there yet but yeah i feel it too

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            That's the one of the two things that keeps Windows 10 installed on a drive in my system. Even the "Well, it's technically HDR" that my TV offers almost always looks better than its standard picture when configured right with both Real and Fake HDR.

The other is MSFS 2020 not running on Linux...granted that game doesn't even play good on my PC when set to potato due to my GPU not being up to par...

If GNOME could pull off HDR I'd probably switch to a minimal GNOME session for gaming sessions. I don't really multitask when gaming so I could make GNOME work as a single use gaming session. I'd still have to use KDE to not feel constrained when I'd be doing anything else.

Comment

I like GNOME 43, it is really nice and I look forward to more apps ported to GTK 4.
              I still use it with gedit and GNOME Terminal though, not with the new Text Editor and Console app.
              Many apps are still GTK3 apps but with Adwaita, not ported to GTK 4.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                All in all it looks like a solid update. Not my cup of tea, but at least it isn't one of those updates that removes choice and functionality for the sake of new user simplicity and clean lines.
                To me, it seems like Gnome's trend of removing features was mostly prevalent in the Gnome 3.xx days. It's one of the reasons Gnome was my least favorite DE back then, apart from the crappy performance and the vertical workflow which was very awkward. Starting with Gnome 40 I haven't even heard about any feature that was being removed.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                The other is MSFS 2020 not running on Linux...
                I've seen some managed to run this game on Proton.

Comment

I wish they will come up with something new instead of "Copying" the macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                    "Copying" the macOS.
                    Nothing wrong with duplicating end-user preferred features from MacOS. Or any other OS.

Comment

Working...
                    X