OBS Studio 28 Beta 1 Brings 10-bit & HDR Video Encoding, Qt6 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 28 Beta 1 Brings 10-bit & HDR Video Encoding, Qt6 Toolkit

Phoronix: OBS Studio 28 Beta 1 Brings 10-bit & HDR Video Encoding, Qt6 Toolkit

OBS Studio as the popular, cross-platform, open-source software widely used by live-streamers is working on its next major release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

10-bit & HDR Video Encoding
    Not under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Not under Linux.
      Most of OBS's users run Windows. But it is a feature that's growing to be more and more relevant in that Linux lacks HDR support entirely as inexpensive HDR monitors proliferate.

Comment

What is the current instance of Linux distros when it comes to HDR display support? Any ETA or future or gitlab/github issue or any link.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
          What is the current instance of Linux distros when it comes to HDR display support? Any ETA or future or gitlab/github issue or any link.
          • Works for individual very rare applications under X.org (actually many "work" but they don't use a HDR/10bit palette so I don't count them).
          • Not supported by Wine/Proton/DXVK.
          • Not supported in any shape or form under Wayland.
          • No ETA.

Comment

Not under Linux.
            You can do 10bit formats on x11. But not really HDR

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You can do 10bit formats on x11. But not really HDR
              "Can do" and "is properly supported and works for all applications seamlessly out of the box" are two fucking different things.

And X.org on Phoronix has been pronounced dead and an enemy of the bright Linux future countless times already.

Comment

We will see HDR on Linux about the same time we see non-propriatary openCL. Never. People don't even talk about ether one any more.

Comment

• Works for individual very rare applications under X.org (actually many "work" but they don't use a HDR/10bit palette so I don't count them).
                  • No ETA.
                  notice, i like wayland, i support wayland, ive run wayland for about two years now on gnome with my 6900 xt

but i am curious to know the history of wayland and why all its shortcomings and slow development has happened. its been roughly 13 years, i think its safe to say, even as a "supporter," that its odd for a project to be 13 years old, and still not in a ready state for full replacement of the very thing it was designed to replace. to put in in perspective, someone born in 2009 would have gone from 1 day old pooping in diapers baby boy to now be a 13 year old edgy, hormone raging teen who finally noticed women. was it just a bad development philosophy for wayland? design faults?

Comment

• No ETA.
                    Regarding Wayland: there's very active development on this front by RedHat (Mutter), Collabora (Weston) and others. The main issue here is that they try to make it "right", i.e. not start with some have backed solution. The protocol proposal is here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/14

Comment

Working...
                    X