Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reba View Post

Spectacle's "Save as" dialog on my Debian machine is providing WebP alright:
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

I've just tried in Kubuntu 22.04 and KDE Spectacle also offers saving screenshots as .webp
    Then why don't I have such an option?

Comment

I’ve been using PipeWire for a few weeks now on Solus with a SMSL M8A v3 DAC. Only issue I’ve run into is DSD playback. Aside from that it has been stable. Here’s a useful guide: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/au...#--sample-rate

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Wait, Scintilla is a text-edit / code-edit component. I think text-encoding switching should be independent of that? (Now I am considering if I shall switch text editor at home, after you remind me the alternatives.)
        It could be a coincidence, but a quick (rip)grep of the Scintilla source shows plenty of occurrences of the strings SetCodePage and codePage in suggestive ways.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Note: I've just tried it in Kubuntu 20.04 (not 22.04) and it also shows that option...

Can you try Kubuntu 22.04?

Comment

It's always kinda funny when the [other DE] trolls invade any thread with gnome hate and the same stereotypes again and again and again. It's so foreseeable.

Meanwhile: happily using Gnome 42. Even being a professional user, doing development taks, server and infrastructure maintenance taks, lots of communication, some video creation for yt,...

And to make it even more outrageous: I think wayland has long surpassed X11 in terms of useful features and everyday performance. No kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Version 22.04. Do you have qt5-imageformats installed? AFAICT that's the one with the webp dependency.
              Package version 22.04.1-1. But qt5-imageformats was indeed the issue. The chain of dependencies between qt5-imageformats and spectacle is exceptionally long and convoluted and involves many optional steps (as shown by pactree -o-1 -r qt5-imageformats).

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                And to make it even more outrageous: I think wayland has long surpassed X11 in terms of useful features and everyday performance. No kidding.
                Except last I looked Wayland still didn't allow me to use external displays connected directly to the nvidia card (reverse PRIME). Maybe that is fixed now, was almost half a year since I last investigated this. Yes, this is the fault of nvidia (obviously), but who's fault it is doesn't matter if I just want to be able to use my work laptop and I need CUDA on it for work.

I think there was a few other minor things that didn't work properly last I tested as well but I can't really remember what they were, and they weren't show stoppers (unlike reverse PRIME).

Comment

Watching that video I noticed that you also don't have Jpeg2k, JpegXL, HEIF, TIFF, and probably others. See mine.

That package I mentioned earlier is called qt5-image-formats-plugins on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Watching that video I noticed that you also don't have Jpeg2k, JpegXL, HEIF, TIFF, and probably others. See mine.

That package I mentioned earlier is called qt5-image-formats-plugins on Ubuntu.
                    That fixed it, thanks! I don't know why it didn't install by default when installing the plasma5-desktop (or whatever it's called).

Comment

That fixed it, thanks! I don't know why it didn't install by default when installing the plasma5-desktop (or whatever it's called).
                      On Manjaro it's only an optional dependency for kio and gwenview. I wouldn't be surprised if other distributions have KDE/QT dependencies messed up. I filed a bug report at Arch Linux for spectacle. You, or someone else, should probably do the same for Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X