Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Meanwhile KDE Spectacle offering to save screenshots as .cur or .ico files, but not .webp (Ubuntu 22.04)!

Both sides work hard to keep the Linux desktop share at 1%.

Spectacle's "Save as" dialog on my Debian machine is providing WebP alright:
    Last edited by reba; 21 May 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      I would add that I completely understand decisions like removing desktop or tray icons if the motive is to remove hacky code, because that's the reason Gnome is so stable unlike KDE. But it seems that the reason they try to replace Gedit and the old terminal with the new apps is because this way they can also be used on the Gnome mobile ui (or whatever it's called). I'm not a fan of that. It seems they try to adopt convergence (a la Windows 8)
      KDE is very stable for me on openSUSE Tumbleweed. It was a tad unstable on Void and Arch, but that's also because I used the Wayland session WIP, but not so on Tumbleweed, even with Plasma Wayland WIP.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        For some ROLF, can't make this shit up, humor. Gnome Text Editor is touted as "a simple text editor that focuses on session management.
        Not anymore:

"GNOME Text Editor is a simple text editor focused on a pleasing default experience."

So it's focus is not being a capable or functional text editor. It's just trying to be pleasant to use; to give you a pleasant experience while you explore its three functions.

Comment

An important progress.

Comment

There is something I don't get about pipewire.
            Why add another layer on top of ALSA instead of fixing / updating ALSA ?

I am on Tumbleweed and made the switch to pipewire a few weeks ago, and all seems to be fine though.
            Pipe wire pulse did also get installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
              There is something I don't get about pipewire.
              Why add another layer on top of ALSA instead of fixing / updating ALSA ?

I am on Tumbleweed and made the switch to pipewire a few weeks ago, and all seems to be fine though.
              Pipe wire pulse did also get installed.
              Because ALSA is just the drivers, for it to get the full feature stack of pulse or pipewire then you will have to redesign every single ALSA driver in existence from scratch.

Comment

I hope they patch ugly font rendering of libadwaita apps.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Back in the day Gedit2 was probably the best text editor. One of my favorite programs of all time. Gedit 3 is what got me to leave GNOME for good because for it modern meant "stripping down the UI and putting everything useful in the Hamburger." Gedit 3 was the modern replacement of one of my favorite editors and it doesn't need an even more modern replacement where "even more modern" means "removed everything that made Gedit 3 worth using."

Nobody wants these stripped-down and limited programs by default. Nobody wants a system where step one is to replace the default programs.

FWIW, I don't like that KDE is doing this either. Kate should be default; not KWrite.

For some ROLF, can't make this shit up, humor. Gnome Text Editor is touted as "a simple text editor that focuses on session management." The major difference between Kate and KWrite -- KWrite doesn't have session management. That's basically it.

Now here's the humor -- On GNOME the barebones editor is essentially Gedit with everything useful but session management removed while on KDE the barebones editor is essentially Kate with everything useful in place except session management . I don't think they could be any more opposite if they tried.
                  Sometimes it bothers me that we had better text editors back in 1986 (CygnusEd on the Amiga) than what we have in 2022, what happened to progress?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Sometimes it bothers me that we had better text editors back in 1986 (CygnusEd on the Amiga) than what we have in 2022, what happened to progress?
                    The same can be said about any common piece of software. It also got more and more bloated (in terms of resource usage), but did we really get new significant features?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Gnome is somewhere between a W95 styled UI and a window manager. Some prefer that.
                      If you've ever used MacOS you'd recognize modern Gnome as a bastardized and near useless derivative of the Mac UI that can't figure out whether it wants to be a touch UX, a traditional desktop UX, wastes screen real estate with abandon, and has even fewer options of customization, along with a developer community even more tyrannical with the "we know best" mentality. (Tell us how you really feel about Gnome, Stormcrow!)

Edit to add: Luckily in Linux-land, BSD land, etc the UI is also user selectable so no one is really "stuck" with Gnome. You can ignore it, get rid of it, etc.
                      Last edited by stormcrow; 21 May 2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X