KDE Developers Had A Very Busy Valentine's Week With Many Plasma Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Your complain about that popup showing for 10 seconds at login may be valid, but if in your opinion any DE people have to learn about user experience from other OS, you should be mad at Gnome/Gtk and I haven't seen it in your posts.
    Let me remind you some of the many peculiarities of the vanilla Gnome and Gtk experience:
    • No desktop icons
    • No system tray
    • No minimize/maximize buttons
    • No menu bars
    • Dialogs with buttons above the content, ie in the title bar
    • Inability to move the dock
    • No image previews in the file picker
    I do have minimize/maximize buttons. Not sure, if I enabled this...
    You do have image preview, but you have to click on the image.

Many other things can be customized.
    I get it, that Gnome is not your first choice. That's why more classical Desktops like KDE, Cinnamon, Mate are here and KDE could be a much better desktop, if they wouldn't make beginner mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

To qualify, these statements are generalizations which always have exceptions. Thats why defaults exist, they cover general cases and if there is an exception you can change it like you want.

In any case I already gave an explanation why, do you disagree with that premise or you just giving a personal preference?
      Not really disagreeing, giving my personal preference for sure, but just wondering if there is any actual evidence for the natural motion stuffs. would be neato to read up on, but don't really have the time to sift through google

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

We are talking here about the booting time and if you don't see any notification, you do have internet connection. Another confirmation is the status icon. So, you have two indications, that you have internet access. What you are wishing is a third redundant information which is telling you all the same: You have internet connection.
        I want to be informed instead. And yes, there is the status icon, but it's very small. Also, what is the problem exactly? This notification was present in KDE until Nate patched it out, so it's not like I'm asking something weird or anything. You don't like the notification? Fine, but let others who do like it (so far, at least me) have the option to re-enable it. Plasma is all about customization, after all.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 20 February 2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Not really disagreeing, giving my personal preference for sure, but just wondering if there is any actual evidence for the natural motion stuffs. would be neato to read up on, but don't really have the time to sift through google
          I studied this all the way back at Uni when doing a UX elective and there are plenty of papers on it which I would have to find it. The basic premise though is that "natural" is basically a synonym for patterns that are found in nature which humans have evolutionary speaking seek to identify via pattern recognition.

Like think of it another way, why does "lag" or "stutter" in something like a game feel unnatural? Its because in the standard physical world that we tend to experience, things don't physically move that way.

Comment

I get it, that Gnome is not your first choice.
            No, that simply means that you are just another gnomie criticizing Plasma whilst Gnome has pretty much the same flow and you even admitted. You're just biased and that's it. No need to talk about other people preferences and choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And I would like to have the option to still get that notification.

cc ngraham (I hope you do respond this time)
              Sorry, letting people opt out of a bugfix because they liked the buggy behavior leads to the kind of unmaintainable software that's plagued with endless difficult-to-diagnose problems. We already suffer from this and I don't think it's a good idea to continue in that direction. You'll just have to learn to live with not seeing a "Connection Activated" notification right after you log in, just like you currently don't see a "Connection Activated" notification when you wake you computer up from sleep.

Comment

I do have minimize/maximize buttons. Not sure, if I enabled this...
                Well, it's either you or your distribution.

You do have image preview, but you have to click on the image.
                Yes, I know, but it's almost useless. Large thumbnails are helpful because they let you find at a glance the image you're looking for.
                If you have teeny tiny thumbnails with one large preview at a time you have to look all those previews, one by one.

Many other things can be customized.
                Just like in Kde.

I get it, that Gnome is not your first choice. That's why more classical Desktops like KDE, Cinnamon, Mate are here and KDE could be a much better desktop, if they wouldn't make beginner mistakes.
                I don't think you do. In fact it is my first choice if I want good support for dual graphics, like Nvidia Optimus.
                Gnome could be a much better desktop too, if they wouldn't make beginner mistakes.

PS: vanilla Gnome is also the only major desktop environment with a centered clock

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Sorry, letting people opt out of a bugfix because they liked the buggy behavior leads to the kind of unmaintainable software that's plagued with endless difficult-to-diagnose problems. We already suffer from this and I don't think it's a good idea to continue in that direction. You'll just have to learn to live with not seeing a "Connection Activated" notification right after you log in, just like you currently don't see a "Connection Activated" notification when you wake you computer up from sleep.
                  Can't you just add an option in system settings, just like other notifications? Plasma is supposed to be customizable, you know. But alright, apparently you think it's a good idea to have people squint at a tiny system tray icon to see if they're connected…

Btw, I do see Connection Activated after waking up from sleep. Using KDE 5.24. Maybe it depends on the backend? I'm using iwd.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 20 February 2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post

Because no one cares about any of the things these people are talking about. No one gets "stressed" over their desktop or they'd never leave their bed in the morning. This is just Gnome users trying to come up with some reason to bash KDE because it's not Gnome.

Stick 98% of the population (Windows or OS X users) in front of a Gnome desktop and they'll have no idea what the hell they're supposed to do. KDE is normal and it works. I've been using it for 8+ hours a day since July 18, 2010 and I have no idea what these people are complaining about. It's like the ghost of Steve Jobs has come back to pixel peep. "The RGB pallette on your window close animation doesn't reflect Adobe screen values and takes 2 picoseconds too long to...." What the heck are they yammering about?

Just boot up OpenSUSE Tumbleweed which has a polished KDE interface, use it and be quiet. It's nice and normal. My 79 year old mother uses it and I'm fairly certain she doesn't know she's not using Windows. If I can have a 79 year old using it, the idea that computer professionals are "stressed" and practically in tears writing sob stories about "when I opened a window, they appeared in some corners with an inappropriate size" (that's an application problem, not a desktop problem) and they had to quickly uninstall KDE to feel "relieved" is beyond bizarre.

KDE isn't Gnome. Nothing else is Gnome. Gnome is weird. Get over it.
                    Posts like this do not help at all. Everyone has a different opinion. I also don't like KDE but KDE is well made just differently.
                    E.g. IMHO its too Win UI like, cluttered and does not make fun when used on multimonitor setups.
                    And I'm also getting stressed when I'm distracted from my work, ideas, thoughts, worklfow ...by unnecessary stuff (from my POV).

Im not a 79 old granny but a physicist in his thirties and sitting in front of a computerscreens since almost 30 years - dos, win 3.11 till win 10, bsd, linux, mac os 7.55 till os x - I have enough seen to be able to tell what suites MY workflow the best.

So yes I'm a gnome user but I do respect KDE because I know people are wired differently and its great that we have the opertunity to choose between Gnome and KDE. You would hate Linux if there was only Gnome and I would hate Linux if there would only be KDE.
                    As said KDE is not bad per se - I(!) just can not get along with it.

Let us agree on - its fine how it is - both KDE and Genome in coexistence.
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 February 2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Can't you just add an option in system settings, just like other notifications? Plasma is supposed to be customizable, you know. But alright, apparently you think it's a good idea to have people squint at a tiny system tray icon to see if they're connected…

Btw, I do see Connection Activated after waking up from sleep. Using KDE 5.24. Maybe it depends on the backend? I'm using iwd.
                      ngraham explained why this is a bad idea. Not sure what you imagine. An option for internet connectivity notification in general, but not directly after boot and then an option for internet connectivity notification also after boot? Don't you see, this would make KDE a total mess? If developers would implement every bad user wish, it would be very soon totally cluttered and totally unmaintainable and buggy. TBH, I think this is what KDE suffers from. Especially when you have very limited developer resources.

Comment

Working...
                      X