KDE Developers Had A Very Busy Valentine's Week With Many Plasma Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

While I agree with your sentiment, there are definitely cases where certain things are unambiguously generally more aesthetically pleasing which usually has to do with how are eyes trained and how we perceive things.

When it comes to animations having an easing curve should definitely be the default because that does look more natural to almost everyone. It actually approximates how momentum works in the physical world, i.e. if a car breaks its velocity approximately follows an easy curve and this is why us "subjective humans" feel like the easing curve function looks more natural. https://medium.com/@ryan_brownhill/c...s-34f39e1b4a43 is a good explanation.
    I personally don't like it. link provided doesn't seem to say why it may look better to more people, it literally says "But how does one create quality animation? Easing curves are one of the many core components that takes a decent animation and makes it fantastic!" without even trying to justify the statement...

EDIT: to be clear, I don't think disney's principals strictly apply here
    Last edited by Quackdoc; 19 February 2022, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

While I agree with your sentiment, there are definitely cases where certain things are unambiguously generally more aesthetically pleasing which usually has to do with how are eyes trained and how we perceive things.

When it comes to animations having an easing curve should definitely be the default because that does look more natural to almost everyone. It actually approximates how momentum works in the physical world, i.e. if a car breaks its velocity approximately follows an easy curve and this is why us "subjective humans" feel like the easing curve function looks more natural. https://medium.com/@ryan_brownhill/c...s-34f39e1b4a43 is a good explanation.
      Our animations *do* have an easing curve by default. However there are many different choices of which easing curve to use. Typically we use InCubic, OutCubic, or InOutCubic (depending on what's being animated). Here are all the possible options: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qeasingcurve.html

Comment

I am actually positively surprised how civilized the discussion has been so far

I also think Plasma is fantastic, I went from Debian+xfce to Leap+Plasma and despite leap's slower Boot time (which has nothing to do with plasma and is probably due to btrfs/snapshotting?) I'm really happy.

So thanks to all the plasma Devs for making this great piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
          I am actually positively surprised how civilized the discussion has been so far

I also think Plasma is fantastic, I went from Debian+xfce to Leap+Plasma and despite leap's slower Boot time (which has nothing to do with plasma and is probably due to btrfs/snapshotting?) I'm really happy.

So thanks to all the plasma Devs for making this great piece of software.
          you've jinxed it now

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Our animations *do* have an easing curve by default. However there are many different choices of which easing curve to use. Typically we use InCubic, OutCubic, or InOutCubic (depending on what's being animated). Here are all the possible options: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qeasingcurve.html
            Ah okay nvm then.

The person I was responding to seemed to imply that KDE didn't use easing animations by default (which I also found somewhat suspicious since I didn't see anything out of the ordinary)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I personally don't like it. link provided doesn't seem to say why it may look better to more people, it literally says "But how does one create quality animation? Easing curves are one of the many core components that takes a decent animation and makes it fantastic!" without even trying to justify the statement...

EDIT: to be clear, I don't think disney's principals strictly apply here
              To qualify, these statements are generalizations which always have exceptions. Thats why defaults exist, they cover general cases and if there is an exception you can change it like you want.

In any case I already gave an explanation why, do you disagree with that premise or you just giving a personal preference?

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

AOSP 12+ animations look good enough.
                I very much disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  But you don't get notified, if you have connection.
                  And I would like to have the option to still get that notification.

cc ngraham (I hope you do respond this time)
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 20 February 2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And I would like to have the option to still get that notification.

cc ngraham (I hope you do respond this time)
                    We are talking here about the booting time and if you don't see any notification, you do have internet connection. Another confirmation is the status icon. So, you have two indications, that you have internet access. What you are wishing is a third redundant information which is telling you all the same: You have internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                      But still: You have to be aware, that this is a KDE Plasma way. Other OS don't do this at all and in my opinion KDE people have to learn about user experience from other OS and not the other way around! It would be wise if you would do that.
                      Your complain about that popup showing for 10 seconds at login may be valid, but if in your opinion any DE people have to learn about user experience from other OS, you should be mad at Gnome/Gtk and I haven't seen it in your posts.
                      Let me remind you some of the many peculiarities of the vanilla Gnome and Gtk experience:
                      • No desktop icons
                      • No system tray
                      • No minimize/maximize buttons
                      • No menu bars
                      • Dialogs with buttons above the content, ie in the title bar
                      • Inability to move the dock
                      • No image previews in the file picker

Comment

Working...
                      X