Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT 5.24 Released - Continues To Advance Its Wayland Support, Expand On Wlroots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Exactly. You could create a technological marvel, but if you don't know how to share and convince people that it's better, it won't lead anywhere.

romangg you will have to turn the kde community on your side if you want KWinFT to have traction. You will have to convince them that your tech and your approach is beneficial to the community. I'm saying this because I truly believe KWinFT is the way to go, and I think the technological approach is the right one, but I don't think it will ever get widely adopted with the current social approach to the project.
    While I might agree with you on that, I only have to point out that if keithp tried this 'polite' approach with XFree86, which I think he did initially, they rejected his approach and he had to go nuclear. Now it did help that others like Red Hat etc were in support of this approach...

We should know that Open Source has always been full of egos no matter which side you're on with KWinFT or KWin. The best project should win, its healthy competition. If KWinFT proves to be better then so be it, and the losers should accept.

Comment

Would someone fix the 'this post might be spam' ... my response to gufide was not spam... or marking it as 'Unapproved'.

"While I might agree with you on that, I only have to point out that if keithp tried this 'polite' approach with XFree86, which I think he did initially, they rejected his approach and he had to go nuclear. Now it did help that others like Red Hat etc were in support of this approach...

We should know that Open Source has always been full of egos no matter which side you're on with KWinFT or KWin. The best project should win, its healthy competition. If KWinFT proves to be better then so be it, and the losers should accept."

Comment

Would someone fix the 'this post might be spam' ... my response to gufide was not spam... or marking it as 'Unapproved'.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
          Nope.

Comment

IMHO, KwinFT is just a toy for it's developers. Nothing special. At least for now. Kwin is much more mature, and get more and more featurable and impressive with every release. Can't wait for a complete scene redesign (https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/issues/30). It may take years before KwinFT get enough stable and feature complete, especially given that wlroots is still unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Have you seen that article the other day where Wayland doesn't command much more than 10% market share? Assume the data is flawed and Wayland has double that marker share, it's still reason enough to keep caring about X, I should think.
              Yes. But I do wonder why all these fundamental changes and modernizations have been done in KwinFT for X11 too. Now KwinFT competes with Kwin in the area of X11 support. But why? It is not like Kwin had major issues with X. Wouldn't it be better to redesign KwinFT as a pure Wayland compositor (including Xwayland) and getting rid of some old and rusty code? Similar to gamescope, focus on Wayland and maybe Vulkan too.
              Last edited by R41N3R; 10 February 2022, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Kwin and the whole KDE stack only runs in "desktop mode". For gaming, valve uses a own wlroots based compositor called gamescope, Kwin would be way too slow, unstable, unreliable to serve as the base of a gaming system.

Gamesscope is a proxy wayland compositor valve uses for application scaling. Steamdeck is running kwin when its running gamescope. The reality here wayland compositors when stacked put on bugger all overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Gamesscope is a proxy wayland compositor valve uses for application scaling. Steamdeck is running kwin when its running gamescope. The reality here wayland compositors when stacked put on bugger all overhead.
                  gamescope works as a standalone compositor too. I regularly use it directly from TTY for some older games windows apps. I suspect that steamos will be doing something similar

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post

While I might agree with you on that, I only have to point out that if keithp tried this 'polite' approach with XFree86, which I think he did initially, they rejected his approach and he had to go nuclear. Now it did help that others like Red Hat etc were in support of this approach...

We should know that Open Source has always been full of egos no matter which side you're on with KWinFT or KWin. The best project should win, its healthy competition. If KWinFT proves to be better then so be it, and the losers should accept.
                    Well, with the current social aspect of the project, I don't think it will takeoff, but I could be pleasantly surprised

I'd love to see the community adopt KWinFT. Each blog posts I'm reading about it reflect perfectly my way to approach programming in general.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Yes. But I do wonder why all these fundamental changes and modernizations have been done in KwinFT for X11 too. Now KwinFT competes with Kwin in the area of X11 support. But why? It is not like Kwin had major issues with X. Wouldn't it be better to redesign KwinFT as a pure Wayland compositor (including Xwayland) and getting rid of some old and rusty code? Similar to gamescope, focus on Wayland and maybe Vulkan too.
                      That sounds better, yes. The only reason for retrofitting that I can think of, is keeping code similar for maintenance purposes. But that's just me guessing.

Comment

Working...
                      X