Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWinFT 5.24 Released - Continues To Advance Its Wayland Support, Expand On Wlroots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT 5.24 Released - Continues To Advance Its Wayland Support, Expand On Wlroots

Phoronix: KWinFT 5.24 Released - Continues To Advance Its Wayland Support, Expand On Wlroots

Along with yesterday marking the release of KDE Plasma 5.24, KWinFT 5.24 debuted as the newest version of this KWin compositor fork that continues focusing on providing Wayland support, new features, and modernizing the codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think I'm about to give up on KWin-lowlatency - no more time to maintain it...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I think I'm about to give up on KWin-lowlatency - no more time to maintain it...
      If you're interested in merging the unredirect mode that KWin-lowlatency provides into KWinFT let me know. I would be happy to help. While the focus for the future is of course Wayland I've the rendering code paths of X and Wayland now as much separated inside KWinFT that I don't think it would be a huge effort to get this X11 feature in and maintain it afterwards.

Comment

Tried kwinft 5.23 and my experience was... black screen and then login screen. I hope it's gonna be ok in 5.24. Manjaro btw.

Comment

Nothing against KWinFT and against the maintainer Roman, but I regularly have the impression, he is in a personal war against the KDE community. Not sure what this is good for. Nobody is benefiting from that.

Originally posted by Roman
          Still as of now the effect is missing in KWinFT, and that is sad, because it looks like a pretty cool effect. From what I've seen it is a direct copy of Gnome's overview, so not very innovative, but let's not kid ourselves, the innovative times of the KDE Community are long in the past, so why not copy something from people with more of that.

Comment

i've been meaning to try it, is it a drop in replacement when using the AUR? and does it support gpu hotswap I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              Nothing against KWinFT and against the maintainer Roman, but I regularly have the impression, he is in a personal war against the KDE community. Not sure what this is good for. Nobody is benefiting from that.
              I hear ya. I like Roman, solid developer, friendly in person... But comments like "Let's not kid ourselves, the innovative times of the KDE Community are long in the past, so why not copy something from people with more of that" is a nasty little thing to say. Instead of working with the community he's drawing a clear line between himself and everyone else, and because of that KwinFT has a ceiling to its possible success. I can only think of the saying "Someone who travels alone travels fastest, but people who travel together travel farthest."

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Please don't.

I really like the creamy smoothiness of kwin-lowlatency that it offers in x11 mode. And also, more importantly, it's been rock solid for me and doesn't crash more often when compared to the conventional KWin.

Plasma crashes for me as soon as I try to run several Steam games in fullscreen mode. KWin and KWin-lowlatency don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                  Plasma crashes for me as soon as I try to run several Steam games in fullscreen mode.
                  Obviously, that is not expected. Ideally you should pin this down to what might cause it and file a report.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Obviously, that is not expected. Ideally you should pin this down to what might cause it and file a report.
                    Agreed. Will do once I have the time, hopefully this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X