Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

    Phoronix: Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

    Thanks to Red Hat developer Martin Stránský, he has managed to get the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) working for AV1 content within the Firefox web browser...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...fox-AV1-VA-API

  • #2
    So maybe Firefox 97?

    Comment


    • #3
      What is the current status of Linux video acceleration/offloading by browsers?

      Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
      Chromium -
      GNOME Web -

      ???

      Comment


      • #4
        VAAPI acceleration gave me weird green boxes on my 6700XT on Firefox 96. (By flipping on media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled)

        Not sure if that's a new problem or device-specific problem. Same thing with ffmpeg and mpv with hwdec=vaapi in mpv's conf

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
          What is the current status of Linux video acceleration/offloading by browsers?

          Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
          Chromium -
          GNOME Web -

          ???
          Firefox: X11 and Wayland work for a long time now
          Chromium: X11 (should work but I have issues) and Wayland (maybe with chromium-wayland-vaapi)

          Comment


          • #6
            Granted, in order to enjoy GPU-accelerated AV1 with VA-API you need to be using the latest-generation Intel graphics or AMD Radeon RX 6000 "RDNA2" GPUs
            Unless, you are stuck with a RX 6500XT/6400 that, according to AMD's, doesn't support AV1. "AV1 Decode: No"

            https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...#product-specs

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              What is the current status of Linux video acceleration/offloading by browsers?

              Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
              Chromium -
              GNOME Web -

              ???
              https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...ideo_on_linux/
              This should explain the options pretty well

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

                Unless, you are stuck with a RX 6500XT/6400 that, according to AMD's, doesn't support AV1. "AV1 Decode: No"

                https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...#product-specs
                This is really surprising. Had I not seen this link, I would have just assumed that all RDNA2 cards had the same encode/decode blocks. This is almost backwards. People with worse cards likely have worse CPUs, and are mostly likely to benefit from hardware decoding.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

                  This is really surprising. Had I not seen this link, I would have just assumed that all RDNA2 cards had the same encode/decode blocks. This is almost backwards. People with worse cards likely have worse CPUs, and are mostly likely to benefit from hardware decoding.
                  What is worse is, the future laptop Ryzen 6000 series APUs will have AV1 decode. For the life of me I cannot understand what AMD were thinking. As you said, people buying those things need the AV1 decode more than those with a RX 6800 on their machines.

                  And of course, the competition (Nvidia's RTX 3050) will have the goods.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Red Hat and its developers are again amazing, thank you very much!
                    I hope one day they could solve the HDR problem too.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X