Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

Phoronix: Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

Thanks to Red Hat developer Martin Stránský, he has managed to get the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) working for AV1 content within the Firefox web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So maybe Firefox 97?

Comment

What is the current status of Linux video acceleration/offloading by browsers?

Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
      Chromium -
      GNOME Web -

???

Comment

VAAPI acceleration gave me weird green boxes on my 6700XT on Firefox 96. (By flipping on media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled)

Not sure if that's a new problem or device-specific problem. Same thing with ffmpeg and mpv with hwdec=vaapi in mpv's conf

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
          Chromium -
          GNOME Web -

???
          Firefox: X11 and Wayland work for a long time now
          Chromium: X11 (should work but I have issues) and Wayland (maybe with chromium-wayland-vaapi)

Comment

Granted, in order to enjoy GPU-accelerated AV1 with VA-API you need to be using the latest-generation Intel graphics or AMD Radeon RX 6000 "RDNA2" GPUs
            Unless, you are stuck with a RX 6500XT/6400 that, according to AMD's, doesn't support AV1. "AV1 Decode: No"

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Chromium -
              GNOME Web -

???

This should explain the options pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Unless, you are stuck with a RX 6500XT/6400 that, according to AMD's, doesn't support AV1. "AV1 Decode: No"

https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...#product-specs
                This is really surprising. Had I not seen this link, I would have just assumed that all RDNA2 cards had the same encode/decode blocks. This is almost backwards. People with worse cards likely have worse CPUs, and are mostly likely to benefit from hardware decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

This is really surprising. Had I not seen this link, I would have just assumed that all RDNA2 cards had the same encode/decode blocks. This is almost backwards. People with worse cards likely have worse CPUs, and are mostly likely to benefit from hardware decoding.
                  What is worse is, the future laptop Ryzen 6000 series APUs will have AV1 decode. For the life of me I cannot understand what AMD were thinking. As you said, people buying those things need the AV1 decode more than those with a RX 6800 on their machines.

And of course, the competition (Nvidia's RTX 3050) will have the goods.

Comment

Red Hat and its developers are again amazing, thank you very much!
                    I hope one day they could solve the HDR problem too.

Comment

Working...
                    X