Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.41 Offers Improved Flatpak & JACK Compatibility, Apple AirPlay Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not start it from whatever init System you use
    as far as I understand pipewire needs to run as a user process (It's started by Systemd --user by default) so starting it with my init System is not intended.

Comment

Originally posted by keit99 View Post
      as far as I understand pipewire needs to run as a user process (It's started by Systemd --user by default) so starting it with my init System is not intended.
      Let me get this straight: openrc doesn't know how to start processes as non-root? And you can't use runas to work around that?

Comment

Oh I Think you're misunderstanding. It needs to run on user Login as the User you are Jogging in. Hence needing to be in the Autostadt directory of your Session. If it had to run as a user "pipewire" openrc can do it. It just doesnt have an equivalent to "Systemd --user" which executes on user login and Starts user Services.
        And I had not thought about /etc/xdg/autostart where I could have put a desktop file executing pipewire && wireplumber && pipewire-pulse which is how you have to start pipewire without systemd-user-service
        https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire here's more about this.
        Last edited by keit99; 15 December 2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyanpasu64 View Post

You could try https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/how-...esumes/18076/2. It should work but I haven't tested myself.
          It worked! But i went back to Pulseaudio because i had a lot of lag when I monitor sound with OBS.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
            i had a lot of lag when I monitor sound with OBS.
            There are many ways PipeWire can suffer from lag. I wish it didn't add lag to apps which function fine on PulseAudio, but the developer (Wim Taymans) seems to think the current behavior, where notification sounds have a quantum of ~200 ms and in practice play at latencies up to 600ms, is by design. Until PipeWire cleans up its act, you can edit the config files to reduce peak latency. First run this to create a local config file:
            Code:
            mkdir ~/.config/pipewire
            cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
            Now open ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf in a text editor. Uncomment default.clock.quantum and default.clock.max-quantum, and change both to 1024 (or for even lower latency, 512 or 256). After you save, running `systemctl --user restart pipewire.socket` in a shell should restart PipeWire with the new settings. (I hear that restarting pipewire.socket is different/better than restarting pipewire?)

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post

It worked! But i went back to Pulseaudio because i had a lot of lag when I monitor sound with OBS.
              did you try using jack? I don't get any noticeable delay when I use the jack back end.

Comment

Originally posted by nyanpasu64 View Post

There are many ways PipeWire can suffer from lag. I wish it didn't add lag to apps which function fine on PulseAudio, but the developer (Wim Taymans) seems to think the current behavior, where notification sounds have a quantum of ~200 ms and in practice play at latencies up to 600ms, is by design. Until PipeWire cleans up its act, you can edit the config files to reduce peak latency. First run this to create a local config file:
                Code:
                mkdir ~/.config/pipewire
                cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                Now open ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf in a text editor. Uncomment default.clock.quantum and default.clock.max-quantum, and change both to 1024 (or for even lower latency, 512 or 256). After you save, running `systemctl --user restart pipewire.socket` in a shell should restart PipeWire with the new settings. (I hear that restarting pipewire.socket is different/better than restarting pipewire?)
                I tried again using latest pipewire version, and this gives me a nice result with 0 latency on OBS:

default.clock.quantum = 256
                default.clock.min-quantum = 256
                default.clock.max-quantum = 256

I tried 64 & 128 but it was not stable at all.

Comment

Working...
                X