Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.41 Offers Improved Flatpak & JACK Compatibility, Apple AirPlay Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenplus1 View Post
    I would love to use pipewire but it refuses to detect my hdmi audio connection (ubuntu 22.04) so I end up returning to pulseaudio which works.
    I used to have problems like that months ago on Archlinux. Thankfully everything was fixed. I am on Pipewire now and couldn't be happier. Everything works for my needs flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
      Is there something equivalent to:

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
      #load-module module-suspend-on-idle

I want to replace pulseaudio but i need something like this to avoid audio crackling.
      wireplumber (recommended): https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...r/-/issues/120
      media-session (deprecated): https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...uspend-on-idle

Comment

PipeWire (+WirePlumper as a more recent recommends-dependency) works without problems, stuttering or artefacts under Debian sid for several months.

Using it to output through direct-headphone-out, DisplayPort-Alt-Mode-to-monitor-headphone-out, HDMI-to-monitor-headphone-out, via-Bluetooth-to-headset-out, plasma-wayland-screen-recording-to-video, etc.

It's great.
        Last edited by reba; 14 December 2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post
          As usual, I see some people praising PipeWire for "perfect" operation in the comments… Unfortunately, I can't claim the same - I use PipeWire in F34 since the release, and it never worked as well as PulseAudio for me I have regular issues with switching outputs (some applications keep outputting to the previous output, but not all), disappearing mic inputs (very rarely - to fix it I usually need to plug out and in my USB camera again), and sound over HDMI working "sometimes" on my TV. I had no such problems under PA - it worked perfectly AFAIR. However, I see clear trend in PipeWire improving reliability with each release, so that's good
          I would definitely report those issues on PW gitlab. It will probably be resolved sooner or later, but good report could possibly speed this up. Heck, I would report any issue if I only had one

Comment

The only thing annoying me about pipewire is that it doesn't provide alternative autostart means. Í don't use systemd as my init (nothing against it, I just prefer openrc), so I have to write a script that starts pipewire and put it in my autostart folder for my desktop environment, and the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

I've done something similar on Arch. I appreciate being able to record a livestream while playing another audio stream.

The note about OBS monitor recording is interesting. I thought my laptop was just buggy when OBS "desktop audio" started picking up a ton of interference. However now that I can create a Jack input in OBS and use helvum to link directly to it from an audio source, I may not bother.

So far my only frustrations are 1) Firefox seems to create new audio sources all the time, and just auto-connects them to default output, and 2) helvum is pretty basic (options to re-sort the UI, and save & restore patch links would be nice).
              I have the same issues...

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post
                As usual, I see some people praising PipeWire for "perfect" operation in the comments… Unfortunately, I can't claim the same - I use PipeWire in F34 since the release, and it never worked as well as PulseAudio for me I have regular issues with switching outputs (some applications keep outputting to the previous output, but not all), disappearing mic inputs (very rarely - to fix it I usually need to plug out and in my USB camera again), and sound over HDMI working "sometimes" on my TV. I had no such problems under PA - it worked perfectly AFAIR. However, I see clear trend in PipeWire improving reliability with each release, so that's good
                It happens all the time. Unfortunately, very few open source projects have vibrant communities that can help you determine if what works for others and doesn't work for you is a bug or just a configuration issue. Most of the time, you end up having to open a bug report (sign up for each product that misbehaves) and hope for the best.
                If I were you, I'd just go back to what works, unless there's something in PipeWire you really, really need. Let it mature for a while, give it a shot later on.

Comment

Originally posted by keit99 View Post
                  The only thing annoying me about pipewire is that it doesn't provide alternative autostart means. Í don't use systemd as my init (nothing against it, I just prefer openrc), so I have to write a script that starts pipewire and put it in my autostart folder for my desktop environment, and the likes.
                  why not start it from whatever init system you use?

Comment

I want to replace pulseaudio but i need something like this to avoid audio crackling.
                    You could try https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/how-...esumes/18076/2. It should work but I haven't tested myself.

Thanks for this. I was getting high-pitched beeps from a speaker connected via digital output whenever it gets suspended. So turning this off is one of the first things I do and Wireplumber shifted the usual files around.

I've finally found the proper config file way to set this just like in <34:

Copy 50-alsa-config.lua to your config directory if it doesn't exist yet:\
                    `sudo cp -a /usr/share/wireplumber/main.lua.d/50-alsa-config.lua /etc/wireplumber/main.lua.d/50-alsa-config.lua`

Edit the file:\
                    `sudo $EDITOR /etc/wireplumber/main.lua.d/50-alsa-config.lua`

Under the apply_properties section near the bottom of the file, add `["session.suspend-timeout-seconds"] = 0`

The end of that file will now look like this:

```
                    apply_properties = {
                    --["node.nick"] = "My Node",
                    --["priority.driver"] = 100,
                    --["priority.session"] = 100,
                    --["node.pause-on-idle"] = false,
                    --["resample.quality"] = 4,
                    --["channelmix.normalize"] = false,
                    --["channelmix.mix-lfe"] = false,
                    --["audio.channels"] = 2,
                    --["audio.format"] = "S16LE",
                    --["audio.rate"] = 44100,
                    --["audio.position"] = "FL,FR",
                    --["api.alsa.period-size"] = 1024,
                    --["api.alsa.headroom"] = 0,
                    --["api.alsa.disable-mmap"] = false,
                    --["api.alsa.disable-batch"] = false,
                    ["session.suspend-timeout-seconds"] = 0
                    },

```

Save the file and exit the editor.

Restart wireplumber: `systemctl --user restart wireplumber`

If it's idle, open the sink by playing some audio and it should properly stay open without idling this time.

Comment

Pulseaudio modules still work. I have just tested it yesterday because my fiancee wants audio normalization

Comment

Working...
                      X