Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.41 Offers Improved Flatpak & JACK Compatibility, Apple AirPlay Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.41 Offers Improved Flatpak & JACK Compatibility, Apple AirPlay Streaming

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.41 Offers Improved Flatpak & JACK Compatibility, Apple AirPlay Streaming

PipeWire 0.3.41 is out as the newest version of this increasingly-used Linux audio/video stream server solution...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa....3.41-Released

Have been using pipewire on Arch since Fedora 34 was released with it. Works flawlessly. Using helvum I can reroute sound so that I can record two meetings at the same time (while listening to only one or none of them) or I can send one audio stream to multiple speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
      Have been using pipewire on Arch since Fedora 34 was released with it. Works flawlessly. Using helvum I can reroute sound so that I can record two meetings at the same time (while listening to only one or none of them) or I can send one audio stream to multiple speakers.
      I've done something similar on Arch. I appreciate being able to record a livestream while playing another audio stream.

The note about OBS monitor recording is interesting. I thought my laptop was just buggy when OBS "desktop audio" started picking up a ton of interference. However now that I can create a Jack input in OBS and use helvum to link directly to it from an audio source, I may not bother.

So far my only frustrations are 1) Firefox seems to create new audio sources all the time, and just auto-connects them to default output, and 2) helvum is pretty basic (options to re-sort the UI, and save & restore patch links would be nice).

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
        Same here. It's been pretty much a drop-in replacement for pulse (pulse worked fine, too, I was just curious about pipewire), save for the fact that when I select Pro Audio out, instead of two audio outs, I start seeing a lot more (~6-12).
        I had to fiddle a bit with sampling rates. Pipewire only uses one out of the box, had to find out how to set a secondary sampling rate. Can't fault it for not migrating configs, tho.

Comment

Looking forward to distros slowly starting to show interest in replacing PulseAudio. It will be several years process, but the outcome will benefit Linux audio a lot! I treat PW as my default audio server for several months now and it's getting better quickly!

Comment

I wonder if this release will also fix sharing system audio during Zoom screensharing under PipeWire.

Comment

Is there something equivalent to:

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
              #load-module module-suspend-on-idle

I want to replace pulseaudio but i need something like this to avoid audio crackling.

Comment

as soon as pipewire can remember the paths i make I will be happy, constantly routing audio when the app stops playing audio is incredibly annoying.

Comment

I would love to use pipewire but it refuses to detect my hdmi audio connection (ubuntu 22.04) so I end up returning to pulseaudio which works.

Comment

As usual, I see some people praising PipeWire for "perfect" operation in the comments… Unfortunately, I can't claim the same - I use PipeWire in F34 since the release, and it never worked as well as PulseAudio for me I have regular issues with switching outputs (some applications keep outputting to the previous output, but not all), disappearing mic inputs (very rarely - to fix it I usually need to plug out and in my USB camera again), and sound over HDMI working "sometimes" on my TV. I had no such problems under PA - it worked perfectly AFAIR. However, I see clear trend in PipeWire improving reliability with each release, so that's good

Comment

Working...
                    X