KDE Prepares More Crash Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

nah, petty bugfixes aren't newsworthy that's why gnome don't report it. Meaningful improvement is newsworthy that's why they report those.

I said this before, but KDE folks are glossing over mistakes shown on linus video with news bombardments. So someone like michael could report it.
    There are these places called planet.gnome.org and thisweek.gnome.org where the GNOME folks report their own improvements and fixes...

A lot of the LTT problems were from choices of distributions and spiraled from there. Right clicking to save a file from github and being confused about downloading an html page? That happens on Windows, too. Granted, the download zip link on github to be easier to find and not hidden under the code button. User education -- because most people don't know "git clone $URL.git" offhand like we do.

KDE, like AMD, has a user education problem. They have to teach their users what distributions are actually worth using. Sadly, their own KDE Neon isn't one of them.

Honestly, the Linux ecosystem itself has a user education problem and it's multiplied when most all layers need education. Why this distribution? Why that desktop? Why use what where? Why use this graphics driver? Why use that shell? What's a shell? Why? Why? Why don't I go back to Windows?

FWIW, I never considered that a helper program that checked if you're running Apt or Dnf on a Pacman system would be useful. When apparently smart people like Linus run into those problems it highlights things that experienced users just might not consider.

Comment

Linus tried to Zip 3GB of data on a USB drive to the same UsB drive and as usual he didn't look at his screen. And after a few seconds he tried to open said ZIP file and then complained.

Comment

Plasma Wayland session stability has improved immensely these days. I have been one of KDE's critics but i have been using it as a daily driver since 5.23 with both Intel and AMD gpus and it has been pretty stable with only occasional minor issues. I am actually quite impressed with their progress. Even a year ago Wayland in Plasma was garbage. There are things missing obviously but they are getting there. I think GNOME people should be concerned since they don't appear to improve their desktop as fast as KDE does. There is an issue with GNOME desktop that bothers me. When opening Steam, it also opens my contact list in a separate window, and as long as that separate windows is open, the main window is extremely unresponsive, as soon as i close the second window, it becomes fine. This doesn't happen in Plasma Wayland (and it, alongside freesync support, is one of the reasons i switched). I am not sure i understand why it is happening, but i haven't bothered with a bug report because it seems to me someone should have noticed it already.... Perhaps when i have the time i will look into the bug tracker to see if the bug exists. But claiming that GNOME Wayland is trouble free is far from the truth.

On the other side, it bugs me that KDE and Qt still haven't bothered with supporting those 4 extensions:

for input grabbing in games, remote desktop and VM windows. At least there is no mention in Archwiki of Qt or Plasma supporting those, and i have noticed that while in game indeed the input is not grabbed and i can have the desktop layout appear if my cursor moves too close to the edge. GNOME has been supporting those since 3.28, which is a lot of time, 3.5 years i think? It would be nice if those were introduced in the KDE side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

I tried to reproduce any of his issues and wasn't able to reproduce one of them - i really don't know what he is doing that this stuff doesn't work for him.
          The fact that dolphin doesn't run as root has some security-reasoning i personally never really fully understood myself. Sometimes i'm a bit annoyed by that myself, but as krusader still hast root-mode and CLI isn't bad for certain tasks, i personally don't take too much issue in it. I see how it can put new users off though.
          i mean here, it should ask you for password when you try to do something you don't have permissions with, and after that either run dolphin as root OR simply do that one operation as root. Currently all you have is error message without provided good alternative to resolve problem.

I understand sometimes security concerns but lacking really base functionality for sake of security without providing alternative way for that functionality is really bad.
          Last edited by piotrj3; 11 December 2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I run KDE on a 4K monitor and Wayland with any type of >100% scaling looks like somebody is rendering my desktop using a 50% quality jpeg filter. Blur central.

Razor sharp in X11. So no Wayland for me.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

i mean here, it should ask you for password when you try to do something you don't have permissions with, and after that either run dolphin as root OR simply do that one operation as root. Currently all you have is error message without provided good alternative to resolve problem.

I understand sometimes security concerns but lacking really base functionality for sake of security without providing alternative way for that functionality is really bad.
              They provided the alternative of using the command line, although (for example, in my case) I normally prefer using Krusader because I normally prefer a GUI. If someone is interested in how the progress is in other KDE software, https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...e_requests/143 and https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...ests/143/diffs can be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

They provided the alternative of using the command line, although (for example, in my case) I normally prefer using Krusader because I normally prefer a GUI. If someone is interested in how the progress is in other KDE software, https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...e_requests/143 and https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...ests/143/diffs can be seen.
                Any situation where you need "workarounds" for the basic tools means the basic tools are inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

He complained a lot about Dolphin and Ark, although ones he complained about aren't listed.

I think his biggest complaint was that he couldn't copy/move stuff as root in dolphin, and forcing user to go terminal for that is extremly not user friendly.
                  You can't start Dolphin as root by default. But it can be done: create a new program start in KDE Menu Editor and call it `Dolphin as Root`, then set the command line to:
                  `pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin %u`

I give it a red folder icon to make sure I don't accidentally start it.

Comment

The tasks they are talking about… are system administration ones that have to be made with root permissions. Krusader can do them adequately, it even has an embedded terminal. If someone wants to use "basic tools" for that, maybe wants to see the progress on https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...e_requests/143 and https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...ests/143/diffs

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      Plasma Wayland session stability has improved immensely these days. I have been one of KDE's critics but i have been using it as a daily driver since 5.23 with both Intel and AMD gpus and it has been pretty stable with only occasional minor issues. I am actually quite impressed with their progress. Even a year ago Wayland in Plasma was garbage. There are things missing obviously but they are getting there. I think GNOME people should be concerned since they don't appear to improve their desktop as fast as KDE does. There is an issue with GNOME desktop that bothers me. When opening Steam, it also opens my contact list in a separate window, and as long as that separate windows is open, the main window is extremely unresponsive, as soon as i close the second window, it becomes fine. This doesn't happen in Plasma Wayland (and it, alongside freesync support, is one of the reasons i switched). I am not sure i understand why it is happening, but i haven't bothered with a bug report because it seems to me someone should have noticed it already.... Perhaps when i have the time i will look into the bug tracker to see if the bug exists. But claiming that GNOME Wayland is trouble free is far from the truth.

On the other side, it bugs me that KDE and Qt still haven't bothered with supporting those 4 extensions:

for input grabbing in games, remote desktop and VM windows. At least there is no mention in Archwiki of Qt or Plasma supporting those, and i have noticed that while in game indeed the input is not grabbed and i can have the desktop layout appear if my cursor moves too close to the edge. GNOME has been supporting those since 3.28, which is a lot of time, 3.5 years i think? It would be nice if those were introduced in the KDE side of things.
                      Why do you think those protocols are not supported? All those protocols four are supported by Kwin.

Comment

Working...
                      X