KDE Prepares More Crash Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

He mentions the "You can't just drag-and-drop files from Ark to Dolphin" and "You can't use Dolphin to install an OBS plugin because it requires root permissions" ones in I have NOT had a stable Linux experience - LMG Clips (The full WAN Show episode is linked from the description).
    When the original poster wrote "Linus" I thought he meant Linus Torvalds.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      Speaking of which, I really need to remember to report that Ark one. It's been a problem for ages and I've just been so demoralized by having reported two or three dozen bugs back around 2012 (I know because it was back around when KDE 4's bugs pushed me from KDE 3.5 to LXDE, which was Lubuntu 12.04) and having them just sit there, with most of them still open to this day (no thanks to "Please re-test and confirm this is still an issue or we'll assume it's fixed and close it") and the few that aren't having been closed because the component got replaced by a from-scratch replacement.

That and the lack of an option to easily view what size files will be if decompressed without having to decompress them first are the big reasons I even used File Roller under KDE until the crawling progress of updating it for the GNOME 3.x HIG made the UI too off-putting for me.
      I'm creating my own file browser [1] and I also had problems with Ark because the command line options that are supposed to do a certain thing just didn't work properly, took me like a day or two to figure out something that works and I was surprised how broken Ark is. But I'm still using Ark because there's no alternative. I don't recall what exactly didn't work because it was a few months ago.

[1] https://github.com/f35f22fan/Cornus

Comment

Amazing how anyone is able to use this desktop as a daily driver. Every minor release fixes more bugs than xfce or gnome has ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Amazing how anyone is able to use this desktop as a daily driver. Every minor release fixes more bugs than xfce or gnome has ever had.
          You probably fail to realize the vast majority of what's being fixed is situational - they won't affect >90% of KDE users. There are papercuts in KDE, just not as many as Michael's reporting would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You probably fail to realize the vast majority of what's being fixed is situational - they won't affect >90% of KDE users. There are papercuts in KDE, just not as many as Michael's reporting would have you believe.
            as a proud linux community member, i was dying inside watching linus using KDE. I feel like being killed by 1000 papercuts, i don't even use the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Like what bug77 said, a lot of the bugs only happen in certain situations, are Wayland specific bugs, and some are even not-bugs like toolchain updates.

A lot of articles get various crash fix labels and headlines in regards to Phoronix KDE. If GNOME would have had similar changes they'd have been called "improvements" and not "bug fixes".

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

But I'm still using Ark because there's no alternative. [...]
                If it may be useful: I use Krusader

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

A lot of articles get various crash fix labels and headlines in regards to Phoronix KDE. If GNOME would have had similar changes they'd have been called "improvements" and not "bug fixes".
                  nah, petty bugfixes aren't newsworthy that's why gnome don't report it. Meaningful improvement is newsworthy that's why they report those.

I said this before, but KDE folks are glossing over mistakes shown on linus video with news bombardments. So someone like michael could report it.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

I tried to reproduce any of his issues and wasn't able to reproduce one of them - i really don't know what he is doing that this stuff doesn't work for him.
                    The fact that dolphin doesn't run as root has some security-reasoning i personally never really fully understood myself. Sometimes i'm a bit annoyed by that myself, but as krusader still hast root-mode and CLI isn't bad for certain tasks, i personally don't take too much issue in it. I see how it can put new users off though.
                    Regarding the root access in Dolphin. That's a limitation in KIO that's currently being worked on: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...e_requests/143
                    From the looks of things, Linus complaining about it motivated the KDE contributors to resume the work on it at a faster pace.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Like what bug77 said, a lot of the bugs only happen in certain situations, are Wayland specific bugs, and some are even not-bugs like toolchain updates.

Yes, for example a headline is "Phoronix Test Suite 10.0.1 Released" (no mention to bug fixes there, how different...). In the first paragraph it's written "some initial hiccups", again avoiding some words like "bug", "fix", etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X