Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Prepares More Crash Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: KDE Prepares More Crash Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Even with the holidays quickly approaching, KDE developers remain very busy in landing fixes -- especially crash fixes -- and fixing up Plasma's Wayland session for ensuring it is very polished for 2022...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm super glad these bug fixes are happening.

Comment

Glad to see the bugs mentioned by Linus are being fixed

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
        Glad to see the bugs mentioned by Linus are being fixed
        Where/when did he mention KDE bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Where/when did he mention KDE bugs?
          He complained a lot about Dolphin and Ark, although ones he complained about aren't listed.

I think his biggest complaint was that he couldn't copy/move stuff as root in dolphin, and forcing user to go terminal for that is extremly not user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

He complained a lot about Dolphin and Ark, although ones he complained about aren't listed.

I think his biggest complaint was that he couldn't copy/move stuff as root in dolphin, and forcing user to go terminal for that is extremly not user friendly.
            I'm curious what exactly he didn't like, any links?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

I tried to reproduce any of his issues and wasn't able to reproduce one of them - i really don't know what he is doing that this stuff doesn't work for him.
              The fact that dolphin doesn't run as root has some security-reasoning i personally never really fully understood myself. Sometimes i'm a bit annoyed by that myself, but as krusader still hast root-mode and CLI isn't bad for certain tasks, i personally don't take too much issue in it. I see how it can put new users off though.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm curious what exactly he didn't like, any links?
                He mentions the "You can't just drag-and-drop files from Ark to Dolphin" and "You can't use Dolphin to install an OBS plugin because it requires root permissions" ones in I have NOT had a stable Linux experience - LMG Clips (The full WAN Show episode is linked from the description).

Speaking of which, I really need to remember to report that Ark one. It's been a problem for ages and I've just been so demoralized by having reported two or three dozen bugs back around 2012 (I know because it was back around when KDE 4's bugs pushed me from KDE 3.5 to LXDE, which was Lubuntu 12.04) and having them just sit there, with most of them still open to this day (no thanks to "Please re-test and confirm this is still an issue or we'll assume it's fixed and close it") and the few that aren't having been closed because the component got replaced by a from-scratch replacement.

That and the lack of an option to easily view what size files will be if decompressed without having to decompress them first are the big reasons I even used File Roller under KDE until the crawling progress of updating it for the GNOME 3.x HIG made the UI too off-putting for me.

Comment

KDE Frameworks 5.90 will list folder contents faster when there is a lot of files/folders in there.
                  The MR is talking about KCoreDirLister. I wonder if this applies to the Open/Save dialogs. I've noticed that, while they never had the horrendous performance GTK+ 2.x had for a while, the dialogs provided by the XDG portal host in KF 5.68.0 (Kubuntu 20.04 LTS) can be reluctant to acknowledge a click to the Save button or a press of Enter before taking several extra seconds to load an unnecessary number of entries in particularly large folders.

Not a proper fix, but increasing the required folder size before the problem becomes noticeable would still be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

I tried to reproduce any of his issues and wasn't able to reproduce one of them - i really don't know what he is doing that this stuff doesn't work for him.
                    The fact that dolphin doesn't run as root has some security-reasoning i personally never really fully understood myself. Sometimes i'm a bit annoyed by that myself, but as krusader still hast root-mode and CLI isn't bad for certain tasks, i personally don't take too much issue in it. I see how it can put new users off though.
                    It doesn't put you off because you're used to it. I'm used having to open konsole to copy files to a root fs, but if I just moved from Windows I'd show the middle finger to the Linux desktop and go back to Windows.
                    Chinese people aren't put off by their horribly complicated hieroglyphs (compared to the Latin alphabet).
                    All people when they get used to something their brains turns into a bias producing sludge. Which is why the Linux desktop isn't gaining marketshare - because the decision makers are too biased and reply the same (usually "security") mantras. It's not Linux, it's the people.

Comment

Working...
                    X