Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV 0.34 Released For Popular Linux Media Player

Phoronix: MPV 0.34 Released For Popular Linux Media Player

MPV 0.34 is now available as the newest version of this popular Linux video player that is powered by FFmpeg and forked originally from MPlayer/mplayer2 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This MPV version has a ton of useful changes: absolutely worth upgrading to.

In other news Firefox 94 has been released and it's made shortcuts/top websites 90% less useful: no more previews anymore and website icons take a tiny space inside shortcuts. Why, Mozilla, why? I see no options to revert to the previous behaviour.

Comment

I think they should make media player written in Rust and sandboxed with seccomp, AppArmor and Flatpak or Snap. So it can be secure when you play random movies from untrusted sources, like from BitTorrent maybe.

Comment

YT-DLP default is nice, while a pretty easy thing to get working, the fact that it is now default is really nice.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I think they should make media player written in Rust and sandboxed with seccomp, AppArmor and Flatpak or Snap. So it can be secure when you play random movies from untrusted sources, like from BitTorrent maybe.
        Why? Just firejail it and keep it up to date. and if you need any more protection than that you can containerize it. but the chances that you will get a virus from a video is slim, so long as you are up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          YT-DLP default is nice, while a pretty easy thing to get working, the fact that it is now default is really nice.

Why? Just firejail it and keep it up to date. and if you need any more protection than that you can containerize it. but the chances that you will get a virus from a video is slim, so long as you are up to date.
          More and more malware starts to target Linux. Firejail is great, but end-users don't know how to configure and setup firejail. It should run sandboxed without the user has to setup anything. It should be sandboxed by default.

Comment

Exploits inside media files are vanishingly rare and very difficult to carry out. Last time I heard something like that was 15 years ago - it was an exploit against in WinAMP using some audio format, probably it was mp3. Since then I don't remember anything.

Absolute most people nowadays consume media via online services e.g. Spotity/Netfix/etc which have dedicated apps or run via a web browser.

Comment

I miss when wm4 was in charge and still active.
              Code was leaner and leaner and big improvements were recurrent and at a fast pace.

Comment

More and more malware starts to target Linux. Firejail is great, but end-users don't know how to configure and setup firejail. It should run sandboxed without the user has to setup anything. It should be sandboxed by default.
                I suppose, I just think it unnecessary to go so far

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Exploits inside media files are vanishingly rare and very difficult to carry out. Last time I heard something like that was 15 years ago - it was an exploit against in WinAMP using some audio format, probably it was mp3. Since then I don't remember anything.

Absolute most people nowadays consume media via online services e.g. Spotity/Netfix/etc which have dedicated apps or run via a web browser.
                Exploits themselves aren't rare, but exploitable media players are. most of the major media players patch the exploits very quickly once they are made aware of them. so there is little use to actually use it as an attack vector, because even IF you manage to get arbitrary code execution, you still need the actual virus itself, and depending on the virus privilege escalation. but if you just keep your media player up to date, the chances of actually being vulnerable are small.

It really isn't a great attack vector

Comment

I know Parrot OS had sandboxing by default, and as a normal user I couldn't understand why certain applications I installed didn't work back when I used it. Sandboxing is great, but it needs to be standardized first in order to let developer reliably test their applications. Other than that, you are gauranteed to hit numerous problems down the road, which are just too hard to solve for a normal user/beginner.

Comment

I gave up on mpv, it is an unmaintained abandonware at this point, it might be a useful video player if your GNU/Linux Stockholm syndrome holds strong, it has no UI, no automatic de-interlacing detection, etc, etc, doesn't even come close to mpc-hc that you get on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X