MPV 0.34 Released For Popular Linux Media Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    I gave up on mpv, it is an unmaintained abandonware at this point, it might be a useful video player if your GNU/Linux Stockholm syndrome holds strong, it has no UI, no automatic de-interlacing detection, etc, etc, doesn't even come close to mpc-hc that you get on Windows.
    There are several mpv GUIs but I don't use nor need any of them. 1 missing feature that only you need does not equal etc etc. What else does mpv not do that you need a video player to do?

Comment

I gave up on mpv, it is an unmaintained abandonware at this point, it might be a useful video player if your GNU/Linux Stockholm syndrome holds strong, it has no UI, no automatic de-interlacing detection, etc, etc, doesn't even come close to mpc-hc that you get on Windows.
      Please dont post FUD, you are trolling. UI isnt a requirement for mpv users, but there are UIs for mpv available.

Please stop.

Comment

it has perfectly configurable hdr tonemapping, openal audio output - which works great with openal-soft with hrtf - and android build of mpv is the only player that can actually play some (usually hdr) files properly, i couldn't force any other player to do so (tried vlc, mx player and others).

it doesn't need a shitton of updates when it works properly, unlike most other players.

Comment

There are just so many formats that must be supported. 4k amd 8k hdr screen with gamut control icc profiles, handling 144-250 hz refresh, hidpi, touch display, 32 1536 kHz audio with atmos ceiling channels. Channels for rgb light strips. Bass mode corrections. Mpeg5, adobergb gamut. Log formats from camera.

Comment

There is smplayer which is quite good and what i have been mostly using for more than a decade....

Comment

First and foremost, My condolences for the apparent brain damage you have suffered in your childhood. You gave up on MPV because you couldn't understand how it works.it's gui is perfectly fine for multimedia controls plus many mpv-based gui players. It's github show extremely active work being done on it. As for deinterlacing, I don't see the need for automatic deinterlacing. on every video player I've used, it is usually of mediocre consistency and I wind up manually enabling or disabling anyways.

Im, not sure what form of head bashing on a brick wall made you post this. but maybe at least check the git history before calling it abandonware.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I think they should make media player written in Rust and sandboxed with seccomp, AppArmor and Flatpak or Snap. So it can be secure when you play random movies from untrusted sources, like from BitTorrent maybe.
                Can you explain what exactly may happen if I download random movies from untrusted sources? Aren't media files just containers with streams inside, which don't execute any binary code on the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post

Can you explain what exactly may happen if I download random movies from untrusted sources? Aren't media files just containers with streams inside, which don't execute any binary code on the CPU?
                  When you're parsing any binary format you'll have code which deals with numerical values you deemed "safe" when writing it. In the real world however files might be damaged or some ingenious person may create specially crafted files which will cause overflows and lead to code execution.

Perhaps the most notorious examples are Flash and PDF: Adobe products which have dealt with them have seen at least 400 critical vulnerabilities which allow remote code execution.

Modern video formats can be abused as well because they are hellishly difficult to parse considering the number of algos they implement.

Comment

Tried Syncplay with friends recently and mpv could even allow text chat inside itself.
                    Client/server to synchronize media playback on mpv/VLC/MPC-HC/MPC-BE on many computers - Syncplay/syncplay

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I think they should make media player written in Rust and sandboxed with seccomp, AppArmor and Flatpak or Snap. So it can be secure when you play random movies from untrusted sources, like from BitTorrent maybe.
                      why rust + seccomp? isn't c + seccomp just as secure since it gets sandboxed at kernel level anyways? you would also need to rewrite ffmpeg in rust and the video decoders, such as libx264 (assuming cpu decoding). parts of libx264 is also hand written in assembly for performance. Writing it in pure rust would lead to performance degradation.
                      Last edited by dec05eba; 02 November 2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X